+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Top CD player wanted

I'm Robert.

Default For sale

Quote Originally Posted by RichardA View Post
    I still have my Opus 21 which I use with a DNM DIN cable with the fancy HFTN thingies. Lovely sound.

Denis Morecroft (DNM) told me that you can tweak the Opus further by adjusting the digital volume control on the Opus down from 100 max setting to exactly 1. At the time he explained the logic - bypassing something or other. It obviously doesn't affect the actual volume if you are using the DIN as it has a fixed output. I am not sure that I understood the rationale but I just took his advice. Similarly I didn't worry about before and after tests (life is too short and in any case I simply believed him as he designed/worked on the electronics for the Opus player, as I recall, and was using one for his own personal use).

Might appear odd but doesn't hurt to try!
    I've just put my moon cd5.3rs up on gumtree if helps

I'm colum.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardA View Post
    I still have my Opus 21 which I use with a DNM DIN cable with the fancy HFTN thingies. Lovely sound.

Denis Morecroft (DNM) told me that you can tweak the Opus further by adjusting the digital volume control on the Opus down from 100 max setting to exactly 1. At the time he explained the logic - bypassing something or other. It obviously doesn't affect the actual volume if you are using the DIN as it has a fixed output. I am not sure that I understood the rationale but I just took his advice. Similarly I didn't worry about before and after tests (life is too short and in any case I simply believed him as he designed/worked on the electronics for the Opus player, as I recall, and was using one for his own personal use).

Might appear odd but doesn't hurt to try!
    I did try, there was more of everything, soundstage, depth and even extended bass on some tracks, excellent tweak seriously that I had never read about, thanks for the tip, conventional wisdom has always been to turn up the digital volume to the max and leave the volume control to the PRE, pity they didnt include that into the instructions!

I'm Richard.

Glad it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
    I did try, there was more of everything, soundstage, depth and even extended bass on some tracks, excellent tweak seriously that I had never read about, thanks for the tip, conventional wisdom has always been to turn up the digital volume to the max and leave the volume control to the PRE, pity they didnt include that into the instructions!

I'm Adrian.

The Opus has arrived. I only have 2 CDs (a Casandra Wilson job and a Stereophonics which were in the house when I moved in - others are on order). I'm a little underwhelmed but assume there are vagaries with CD's just as with vinyl. The Stereophonics sounds congested, the Wilson veiled and lo-fi. It certainly isn't on the same level as my vinyl. I'm not using the fixed output yet as I need to order the cable - but maybe I'm just expecting too much from digital....
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Grant.

Shouldn't sound like that tbh. Mine is very open with big soundstage
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I'd use the fixed output before making a conclusion. Depending on how it is set up that could make a noticeable difference. Digital will never sound like vinyl and if you've been solely vinyl for a long time it will take some adjustment. But it shouldn't sound rubbish in any way. If it does, something is wrong somewhere, don't make the mistake of blaming the format!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

I don't know those artists but I have a lot of CDs that sound like that. I've also never had a Cd player where the variable output sounds as good as the fixed. (My new sabre dac with bit perfect volume may now be there.) I think one review said it was not up to the same standard. Your ears may have got used to the sound of your system now which you have optimised around your source and you can't just chuck a new source in and expect it to sound as good. I would give it a few weeks with some good albums before judging. Lastly, what cables are you using?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I don't know those artists but I have a lot of CDs that sound like that. I've also never had a Cd player where the variable output sounds as good as the fixed. (My new sabre dac with bit perfect volume may now be there.) I think one review said it was not up to the same standard. Your ears may have got used to the sound of your system now which you have optimised around your source and you can't just chuck a new source in and expect it to sound as good. I would give it a few weeks with some good albums before judging. Lastly, what cables are you using?
    I know I can't just put it in and expect it to outperform or be as good as my vinyl system - it's an incredible rig, to my ears and the whole system breathes as one. And I'm aware that if I judged it only on a badly pressed, produced album I'd be ignoring all those albums that sound magic. Ditto a new source. There are a few things I can and would do anyway to get the best out of it, which I haven't done yet (fixed out, new power cable) and a selection of albums for comparison. I can't make a conclusion until then - but my thoughts on listening were that my last players (TOTL) back in the 90's were superior. Further listening is required.

I'm using Cardas Golden Neutral reference at the minute.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adrian.

Having slept on it I realised two things, first I have a few CDs in my box set vinyls for comparisons. Second I feel like the problem might be the Truth linestage so I will try the Opus direct into the
    Ref75. A day of experiments.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Lawrence.

I wouldn't use variable out into a pre that's always a recipe for flat soundstage and lack of resolution I've found.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast