+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Top CD player wanted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by legb4rsk View Post
    One other insidious side effect of 'smart' technology is that people work longer hours for no extra pay.People now habitually check & respond to emails at home in the evening & when on the way to work in the morning.This is now considered the norm.
    It is indeed insidious, and can be very damaging for family and personal relationships, with parents too stressed out and tired to 'bother' with their kids, or their partners, as work becomes all-consuming. It's very much a 21st century disease.

As far as I'm concerned, when you leave your work premises, that's you done with your job until the next day (unless you're contracted and paid to work from home), and so when you get home, you 100% completely switch off from work, relax and recharge for the next day, doing what YOU want to do, not your boss.

If that's seen by anyone here as an alien concept, then I'm afraid you've allowed yourself to be 'controlled by the system', and that will only get worse the more YOU allow it to happen! It's also how STRESS starts, and at it's worst, that can be a killer.

Some folks really do need to 'wake up and smell the coffee', and learn to say 'no', before it's all too late......

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Russell,

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I see young people mostly, with their ear buds in as they walk, sit in a fast food restaurant, or even driving. Riding a motorcycle? I know people who have in dash stereos on their motorcycles! I can’t imagine why? While I play the radio in the car, I ride the bike to escape all that, plus my bike is far too loud for a stereo.
    Haha, yup! For me, the whole point of having a fast bike or a car is to listen to the sound of the engine (engine note), and enjoy that, as you're riding or driving it. It's certainly the whole reason why I fitted a bespoke quad exhaust system to my car, so I can enjoy the ROAR, as I accelerate!

Therefore, most of the time when I'm driving, even the music is off, for that purpose. I'd certainly have no interest whatsoever in interacting with a smartphone, unless someone important was calling me, and then I'd always find a safe place to stop to ring them back - but that would be it.

Back when I was a working stiff I hated cell phones and pagers, a noose around my neck for the boss to jerk on, 24 hours a day.
    That's exactly why I wouldn't have them, even if I was still working. As far as bosses are concerned, they've got my full attention for as long as I'm contracted to work, and longer if they pay overtime, but after that MY time is MY OWN (or that of my friends or family)!!

The other day I had a wait in the dirty waiting room of a tire shop, everyone in the waiting room was staring into their phones, as did I. A good chance to catch up on my reading.
    Lol, I get that, but you see that's when I'd probably read a magazine, as usually in those places there are some good car magazines lying around, so I'll read those, or perhaps CHAT TO SOMEONE, who wasn't an iZombie!

But I see my younger family members are glued to their phones, they stay in constant contact with all of their friends, I saw my niece typing like crazy, I asked, “how many people are you talking to now?”, she casually said, “4”, my nephew holds his in his hand constantly, while we are having a conversation he picks up his phone and checks the screen every 30 seconds or so, he is only half into our conversation and half in his virtual world. I do not see this as healthy. Perhaps they will grow out out of it?
    Unfortunately it's not, and it's also bad manners and rather rude.

That's why kids these days [not all, but many] have such low-attention spans, poor manners, and often find it difficult to interact with people in 'real world' situations, simply because they're more comfortable typing to folk, than speaking to them face to face. And it can lead to rather reclusive and insular behaviour.

I can't see them growing out of it any time soon either, as it's not only them doing it, but also their parents, so we've now got generations of people brought up with mobile phones, and latterly smartphones, being an integral part of their life - and it's only going to get worse, in terms of technology controlling *you*, rather than vice versa.

And it is also known that the government spies on everyone through their phone. That may sound paranoid, but just because you think everyone is out to get you, doesn’t mean they aren’t.
    Indeed! And that's my biggest problem with things like smartphones: 'Big Brother watching you', and insidiously and surreptitiously drip-feeding you with mind control. You may laugh, but I assure you it's happening - and has been for some time!!

Often those who scoff at such a notion, are those who are worst afflicted. Rarely do we see ourselves as we *really* are, and often we don't like to acknowledge or admit the unpalatable truth....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

P.A.Y.G. Nokia 3519i here; only mobile I've ever had. Orange snaffled my credit last year 'cos I hadn't used it within the regulatory 6 month period. Daughter got it reinstated, but supposedly with only a one month window now, which is ridiculous. I'm afraid to turn the bloody thing on when I remember these days !.

It's handy, other people having these smart-phones, as I can email them for instant communication. ! Seems everything's smart nowadays, except possibly the people. Certainly the people who've had smart meters installed. What a pointless waste or our money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Seems everything's smart nowadays, except possibly the people.
    <CHORTLE>... Never a truer word was said!!

I disagree with you though, about smart meters. It's all about using them to benefit YOU, not the energy company issuing them - and if you're smart [pun intended], you can do precisely that

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    <CHORTLE>... Never a truer word was said!!

I disagree with you though, about smart meters. It's all about using them to benefit YOU, not the energy company issuing them - and if you're smart [pun intended], you can do precisely that

Marco.
    I've yet to see any (personal) value in them. nor have any of three energy company salespeople on separate occasions managed to convince me of any benefit over what I do now, Marco. Of course you know of the incompatibility problem of those already installed. Why on Earth does the government consider smart meters such an advance that we all have to pay for one regardless (or a fair bit more due to the 'duff' meters) ! Smart? Maybe somebody is, but not me; I feel I'm a bit of a loser in this.

Sure I get that Mike, but I don't really want to further derail this thread into a discussion now about smart meters, so let's save that one for another day

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Sure I get that Mike, but I don't really want to further derail this thread into a discussion now about smart meters, so let's save that one for another day

Marco.
    I will be relying on my smartphone gps app to give me a sense of where this thread is going!

Geoff

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Mike.

Marco.
    Thought I might be stretching the digital thread a bit far. I hope we get a reasonable conclusion to the CDP saga at some stage, though.

I'm Adrian.

Don't worry about derailing the thread - I've been enjoying learning about streaming from all the posts. I haven't decided what I'm doing yet. The Opus is en route back to the seller. I have a couple of options CDP wise and am taking my time mulling them over....
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects