+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Top CD player wanted

I'm Alex.

I’ve never heard one but these are meant to be up there with the best Transports ever made:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222798696660

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Thanks guys but call me old fashioned is really like a player and tangible media.

Yes having tangible media certainly has a certain added sense of being involved/with/control of the music. Whatever cdp you get (two box, top loader, single unit or whatever) I highly recommend that you ensure it has the ability of also taking an external digital source. This way you can, at a very low cost, try out streaming local digital files or files from the internet. Try not to lock yourself out from this possibility.

Judging from your other stuff I'm sure you will be getting a top quality CDP which will have a top quality DAC on board. Good to be able to access that DAC in more than one way.

just my 2p
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adrian.

The guy will ship but having read dozens and dozens of opinions it seems although it's a good machine it really benefits from a GNS mod which can only be done in the states. The mod is serious money which is fine but customs and Spain are a nightmare. Hmmm
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Paul.

I hold a torch for the original Shangling CDP with the valve output stage. Don’t see many of them about these days though and the ones that come up go for almost as much as when they were new.
    ~Paul~

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    The guy will ship but having read dozens and dozens of opinions it seems although it's a good machine it really benefits from a GNS mod which can only be done in the states. The mod is serious money which is fine but customs and Spain are a nightmare. Hmmm
    Hi Adrian,

If it helps, I've heard these CDPs in the past and they're FAB! With valves, and your Tannoys, it will be a match made in heaven, as the Opus has a very open, lucid, detailed but grain-free sound - one could almost call it 'vinyl-like'. It is firmly from the 'musical sounding' school of digital replay, free from 'glare', yet brim-full of insight, and from an era when CDPs were 'done right'...

At the price being asked, and in that condition, the unit on pfm is a veritable bargain... My advice? Snap it up now before someone else beats you to it!!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Drew.

I'm considering going the other way back to vinyl and may even part with my Lector CDP 7 mk III which is about as good as CDPs get...

I'm Lawrence.

Exactly what I thought

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Adrian,

If it helps, I've heard these CDPs in the past and they're FAB! With valves, and your Tannoys, it will be a match made in heaven, as the Opus has a very open, lucid, detailed but grain-free sound - one could almost call it 'vinyl-like'. It is firmly from the 'musical sounding' school of digital replay, free from 'glare', yet brim-full of insight, and from an era when CDPs were 'done right'...

At the price being asked, and in that condition, the unit on pfm is a veritable bargain... My advice? Snap it up now before someone else beats you to it!!!

Marco.

I'm Dan.

The Lector is an incredible unit!

I'm Adrian.

Told the guy I'll sleep on it. Seems like a decent bloke.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    I’ve never heard one but these are meant to be up there with the best Transports ever made:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222798696660
    I had a Tag DVD32R for several years and it was ok. Dreadfully temperamental even after the fixes and the sound wasn't quite what it was cracked up to be. I tried it with Tag DAC20; AV32R and the Young DAC. When it packed up (again) I replaced it with a Primare BD32 which is streets better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast