+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Top CD player wanted

I'm Grant.

Just get an oppo. Good price and does everything you need
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

lordmortlock Guest

Ignore ... misread a prev post

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    There is a lot of music I truly wish to own which is not available on vinyl. If it sounds pants compared to my vinyl rig I wouldn't listen to it. So I spent €900 and would happily spend a lot more if it could provide me with as much sonic pleasure as the 10k or so I've spent on my vinyl set up. If the Opus is truly where digital is at then I would go top of the line vintage - I had a few of them and they were certainly better than the Opus though of course it's obviously not functioning very well!
    Firstly well done for chosing to stick with CD replay over streaming, as convenient as streaming is you could get a far inferior sound if you get that side of things wrong. Yes you could simply use a Chromecast Audio, but it sounds like you value the quality of sound, and at your level plus experience you won't get that with a GCA. Chosing a great CD player avoids a possible complicated digital infrastructure to support a very good sound from a streaming service such as Tidal for example. I would only chose the GCA to 'supplement' a good CD player unless you know how to put together a streaming infrastructure that approaches or even exceeds CD replay. You can avoid BubbleUPnP, DLNA, Squeezelite, Roon and all those bits and pieces that, in the end, can make a fab front end - but just look at all the terminology you need to get your head around.

Anyway - I have a good CD player - vintage - Technics SL-P990 in great condition - £200 if you are interested - cheap enough and very high quality.

I'm Geoff.

There is a lot of music I truly wish to own which is not available on vinyl. If it sounds pants compared to my vinyl rig I wouldn't listen to it. So I spent €900 and would happily spend a lot more if it could provide me with as much sonic pleasure as the 10k or so I've spent on my vinyl set up. If the Opus is truly where digital is at then I would go top of the line vintage - I had a few of them and they were certainly better than the Opus though of course it's obviously not functioning very well!
    As I suggested earlier, go for a streaming solution. Last year I bought another Raspberry Pi3 and an Allo DigiOne board. It performs fantastically with my ripped FLAC files and impressively on high bit-rate internet radio. The technology almost completely eliminates jitter, and I am hearing detail and nuances on old tracks that I never heard before.

Geoff

I'm Mike.

I have a CDP which is on a par with my record player; well, as near as damned, according to sundry hifi visitors. Different, certainly, as are most CDs, but with a quality disc, as spacious and naturally revealing a my vinyl front end. It's called a Lector (4 box for my part), but I'm sure there are other valved CDPs out there which would slot in as your second record player, as it were.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I have a CDP which is on a par with my record player; well, as near as damned, according to sundry hifi visitors. Different, certainly, as are most CDs, but with a quality disc, as spacious and naturally revealing a my vinyl front end. It's called a Lector (4 box for my part), but I'm sure there are other valved CDPs out there which would slot in as your second record player, as it were.
    Lector certainly seem to have a good reputation.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Lawrence.

Just a thought, my mate tried a valve pre and it totally fried his dac beyond repair, could be a fault in the amp that caused it rather than the other way round.

I'm Slav.

The reason I might not have heard this with the vinyl rig going into the truth is that the truth has no fixed balance point - so I might have unwittingly been compensating for the drop in volume on one channel.
    Claiming money back is bit unfair on the seller as you've clearly admitted that problem could've been there from the beginning

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    Claiming money back is bit unfair on the seller as you've clearly admitted that problem could've been there from the beginning
    I agree and it's messing with my head. Before the Opus the balance on the truth was set at 4 minutes past. Since the Opus was put in it is now at 20 past. Hence my question about whether the Opus could have damaged the input. The seller is suggesting that I have somehow shorted the output on one channel of the Opus - I don't see how.

It rained all night here and i spent all night dealing with a flood at home.

It seems I have ac choice.

Send the arc for service.
    Keep and send the Opus for service.

Or try to return the Opus and send the arc for a service.

I really don't know what to do. If there is no way the Opus could damage the input on the arc then the drop has to be coincidental. And it's only right I keep the Opus. If there is any possibility the Opus could damage the input then better to try a clean sheet and not risk it happening again.

Advice welcome!
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Slav.

It's very unlikely cd player would make any damage to an amplifier ,
    It's very long thread can you remind me what's the balance like when you plug adjustable output to the amplifier?
    Another solution is to take Opus and your amp to ARC service centre , guys there certainly would be able to check outputs of the player and tell you if is faulty or not
    if you've paid with PayPal you have 90 days so there is no point to make rushed decisions , someone would need to swallow 100euros postage cost

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast