+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Top CD player wanted

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    Have you tried swapping the speaker cables at the amp end? Or tried another set of speaker cables?

Different amplifier outputs, with the signal and power valves OK, is an unusual problem. Can you look at the speaker connections inside the amplifier (with the amp OFF), anything odd, loose or looking bad.
    Yes I swapped at the amp end - that's when the problem shifted to the other channel and led me to think it's the amp.

Hmmmm l will check that tomorrow - too dark right now.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm George.

OK. I assume you have checked the bias of all the power valves.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    OK. I assume you have checked the bias of all the power valves.
    Yup - easy on the ref75. All 4 are spot on. Checked again when swapped over and adjusted slightly.

Going to listen to some vinyl and try to get my sanity back.

Tomorrow I will put a fixed output cd direct into the ref75 and listen very very quickly to a quiet piece - it is so obvious it should take a second to know for sure that the Opus is 100%.

It seems very unlikely that both the Cary and the arc have the same imbalance.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adrian.

Is there anything the Opus could have done to the amp? I've just put on some vinyl (via the truth) and it's the same - it was fine before plugging the Opus direct. Could it be kicking out a high voltage on one channel and partially fried something?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Dave.

Don't play a fixed output CD player into the ARC as this will produce full output into your speakers with, probably, catastrophic results.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Don't play a fixed output CD player into the ARC as this will produce full output into your speakers with, probably, catastrophic results.
    I'm not going to. I've asked eBay for a refund on the Opus. Listening to my vinyl there is absolutely no way the Opus comes close. Think marantz of the 80's.

I'm also convinced it has done something to the arc - even with my vinyl that channel is now down - luckily the truth can compensate for this to a huge degree (it effectively adds/subtracts gain (power) rather than attenuates for balance).

I've also emailed Sarte audio the importers of arc here in Spain and technical center to sort out getting this beautiful amplifier back to how it should be. They are only afew hours drive.

Fuck knows if I'll get my 900€ back, never mind the €100 I paid for UPS, or the shipping back.

What a bloody ball ache. I really don't think I'll buy second hand again.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm kev.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I'm not going to. I've asked eBay for a refund on the Opus. Listening to my vinyl there is absolutely no way the Opus comes close. Think marantz of the 80's.

I'm also convinced it has done something to the arc - even with my vinyl that channel is now down - luckily the truth can compensate for this to a huge degree (it effectively adds/subtracts gain (power) rather than attenuates for balance).

I've also emailed Sarte audio the importers of arc here in Spain and technical center to sort out getting this beautiful amplifier back to how it should be. They are only afew hours drive.

Fuck knows if I'll get my 900€ back, never mind the €100 I paid for UPS, or the shipping back.

What a bloody ball ache. I really don't think I'll buy second hand again.
    Isn't the Ref 75 still under warranty?
    If it came from a UK dealer I would think you have at least a 3 month warranty
    <a href=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/lauren1809/media/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/lauren1809/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg target=_blank>http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psj2tyfozt.jpg</a></a>

I'm paul.

I don't know what you were thinking Adrian, paying 900€ for a CD player used and from abroad. Just get a cheap one. You don't have many cd's anyway. I bought a Denon 1930 sacd/DVD player for £30 from my mate who bought a bluray player and it sounds as good as anything I've heard, I don't play cd's much anyway, only when the internet won't play Spotify.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Adrian.

There is a lot of music I truly wish to own which is not available on vinyl. If it sounds pants compared to my vinyl rig I wouldn't listen to it. So I spent €900 and would happily spend a lot more if it could provide me with as much sonic pleasure as the 10k or so I've spent on my vinyl set up. If the Opus is truly where digital is at then I would go top of the line vintage - I had a few of them and they were certainly better than the Opus though of course it's obviously not functioning very well!
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm George.

You are going to need to spend a LOT to get the equivalent sound from a CD to your turntable. It is a great front end. Given that you like valves and Audionote speakers then I would look at an AN CD player if you can borrow one. Some people love them others think they are coloured and should be avoided. They better portray the warmth and space of vinyl. I have an Audionote DAC4.1x and CD4T and even that does not seriously challenge vinyl.

Do you have another source (tuner) or DVD that you could try into the Linestage + Ref 75 (SE?) to hear if you get an even output from your line-stage?

I suspect that a visit to the service agent is needed. I am not sure a CD player could do something to damage the input circuitry (through the line-stage) of the Ref 75 without send a loud noise through the amp. Without doubt the ARC is a superb power amplifier and even if it is a pain to get it fixed it is worth getting it properly sorted.

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast