+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Top CD player wanted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    im alway wary of spending too much on a technology that can be outdated and unservicable just after you buy it. the rpi in this respect shows most a clean pair of heels. cheap to replace things and if it all goes tits up your losses aint too bad.
    Yup, and if something needs updated or upgraded, either in the RPI itself or IQ Audio DAC, which of course is built into the former, one company or the other will offer an interchangeable (low-cost) 'plug and play' replacement part, so there's no danger of any aspect of it becoming obsolete - everything is kept up to date at all times

Good point about not spending too much money on technology, which is an ever-evolving entity... Can you imagine buying Naim or Linn's 'greatest new streamer', for £5k, or whatever, and within a year or two, the technology used becomes outdated and easily improved upon by something else?

Bin it and start again, and spend even more money next time.... No, I don't think so!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Also, you can no longer think of your TV, simply as a TV, because it's no more 'just a TV', than your smartphone is simply a phone....

What you've essentially got fixed to your lounge wall is a very large-screened computer, providing you with (if set up that way) full access to the Internet (yes I sometimes post here from my TV, lol), all your emails, YouTube, with its myriad of FREE music and films to watch and listen to, which if your TV is connected up to a decent hi-fi system, can sound superb.

And some of the apps are fantastic. I've got one where I can access live classical music performances of the Berlin Philharmoniker, playing in Berlin, and the visuals and sound quality is stunning!! It's literally as if you are there in the audience.

Why wouldn't I want to have that?

Marco.
    Yes, you are absolutely right of course and I do intend to set it up. But I am sorting problems all day at work, I don't really want to tussle with another one when I get home at night. of course it might all work perfectly straight off first time, but experience tells me this is unlikely. This is also the primary reason I avoid streaming. At the moment I can get in from work, pull a cd off the shelf, stick it in and press play. Nothing else to worry about.

The only thing that can go wrong there is the CD player fails. In that case I just hook up another one and off we go. No muss, no fuss. Whereas when your streaming goes wrong you will get a useful message like 'No Command Line Found Error 2665wnkr' and unless you are some sort of boffin you are stuffed.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes, you are absolutely right of course and I do intend to set it up. But I am sorting problems all day at work, I don't really want to tussle with another one when I get home at night. of course it might all work perfectly straight off first time, but experience tells me this is unlikely.
    I get that. However, having done it now with a few different smart TVs (my own and others belonging to friends and family), I can confidently predict that if the equipment concerned is functioning properly, and you have a stable Internet home network, with a decent download speed, there are unlikely to be any issues, and the whole process should therefore unfold seamlessly

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I do have a smart phone but it stopped doing 'the internet' a while back for no discernible reason. I had not touched any settings or anything. I simply can't be arsed to piss about with it trying to get it back, or spend hours on the 'phone to 'customer services.' Back in 1990 I could have told you anything you wanted to know about computers and knocked you up a program to do anything, even in machine code if you wanted. But the world moved on and I didn't and I have no real desire to catch up with it.

I also have a smart tv. I skipped the bit in the set-up guide about connecting to the internet. Why does a tv need to be connected to the internet anyway? Why can't we just have one thing doing one job the way it used to be?
    I watch you tube all the time on mine, and you can watch video content on your laptop via the net work on it as well. I would not be without my smart TV. Watching a concert via this is much better than the laptop screen.
    Regards Neil

I'm George.

Excellent post, Geoff. I completely concur

The problem with adopting the use of a streaming/file-based audio source is that you need to have some basic ability/understanding of using computers and the software/interfaces necessary (and how they all 'talk' to each other), in order to get the whole shebang to work.

I have to confess that if I hadn't had a friend, who was completely au fait with the whole process, come to my house and initially set-up my RPI/Moode system for me, with my router and associated NAS drives, I'd not have had a clue, and otherwise would've been unlikely to have embraced file-based audio.

So unless you have someone to call on like that, or possess an aptitude for such things, you really need the existence of a great sounding and affordable, 'plug and play' FBA source, with a user-friendly interface, which is piss-easy to operate (and maintain) for all 'non techies' [and I mean piss-easy], and for whom 'getting jiggy with computer technology' is a complete anathema.

Is there such a device in the current marketplace? Not that I'm aware of... And that's your problem!

Marco.
    Yes...it is called CD. Easy peasy to use and even sounds better.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    Yes...it is called CD. Easy peasy to use and even sounds better.
    yes indeed!

Haha - good one, George! Try setting up a day's worth-long playlist of music though, on a CD player (if you want to listen to music for hours, but are too busy to continually get up and down changing discs)

Also, don't forget that not all music now is available on CD, or that you're also talking about a music format that sooner, rather than later, will go the way of the dodo...

Music streaming is the future, whether we like it or not, so find your best solution for such, adopt it and smile

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    yes indeed!
    I thought you said on another thread, daftee, that it wasn't about sound? Or does that simply apply to your preference for vinyl, over streaming, and not your preference for CD over the latter?

Marco.
    Main System

montesquieu Guest

I thought you said on another thread, daftee, that it wasn't about sound? Or does that simply apply to your preference for vinyl, over streaming, and not your preference for CD over the latter?

Marco.
    Vinyl
    CD
    File-based
    Streaming

In that order.

I already have music that only exists in digital format (or at least that I only own in digital/file-based format) so I'm probably stuck with it but it's such an impoverished way to consume music, so much context is lost without proper information to go along with the music itself.

Having said that I'm probably on record somewhere in the early 80s insisting CD would never catch on, forget the sound, look at the richness of the LP back catalogue, how can CD ever compete with that? So I'm maybe not the best person to ask.

I'm Martin.

As far as sound goes there are no technical reasons why streaming should sound worse than a CD, or the opposite. Individual implementations will vary quite lot though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast