+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Top CD player wanted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    What ever it is, if it's properly packed, it should survive unscathed.

I have deliveries almost every day and can't recall anything damaged for, probably, 15 years or more. Sometimes, the cartons are dinged, squashed or mucky but the contents are perfect.
    I completely agree. And if it hasn't, then it's almost certainly occurred, not necessarily because the sender hasn't packed things properly (after all, aside from blatant neglect, "properly" is subjective), but rather that the sender hasn't packed things sufficiently well enough, for the contents to survive the abuse they're liable to be subjected to in transit, through careless handling by couriers, or whatever.

*That* is the real problem. And which is why, once you think that whatever you're sending to someone has been 'packed properly', pack it some more, just for good measure, as the extra layer of protection applied at that point, may just be the difference between the item getting to its destination intact or not!

I've sent stuff all over the world, and some of it extremely fragile, without any problems, such as a matched quad of NOS GEC KT88s, to Australia, minus their original boxes, which despite being handled, en route, many different times by different people, got there safe and sound.

One thing I've found that usually works well, is to thickly bubble-wrap EVERYTHING, whether you think it 'needs' it or not, and double, or even triple-box stuff, so that the contents have as many layers of protection around them as possible. Crucially, you also need to ensure that what's inside is completely prevented from rattling around, as that's often how damage occurs.

Consequently, the size of the package those valves ended up being shipped in, was about ten times bigger than they were!!

At the end of the day, it's YOUR responsibility, as a seller, to do as much as you can (and put in the required effort) to ensure that the person who's given you his or her hard-earned cash gets the goods that they've paid for, in the SAME condition they were in when they left - and in that respect too many sellers are lazy. After all, in most cases, full payment from the buyer will already have been received, so often the motivation to 'go the extra mile', in that respect, is lacking...

However, deliveries of items from commercial companies, shipped inside custom-made cartons and packaging, such as you're referring to, is a different kettle of fish from private sellers shipping items to buyers, often without access to the original boxes and packaging, and having to utilize whatever he or she has available, so I'm not surprised that you've experienced no problems with the former - you really shouldn't!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf
    One of the (many) things I don’t understand is with the level of “courier carnage” many of us have experienced how come the manufacturers/dealers seem to be able to get their wares delivered “sans damage “? All the kit I have bought new (amps, DACS, transports, arms etc) have arrived in perfect working order. Go figure.
    I've just answered that one, Steve

As Macca points out, it can (and does) still happen, but if goods have been shipped inside high quality, custom-made cartons and packaging (as is usually the case with what you're referring to), then it should always successfully cushion them from damage, even if the cartons themselves sometimes get damaged.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I completely agree. And if it hasn't, then it's almost certainly occurred, not necessarily because the sender hasn't packed things properly (after all, aside from blatant neglect, "properly" is subjective), but rather that the sender hasn't packed things sufficiently well enough, for the contents to survive the abuse they're liable to be subjected to in transit, through careless handling by couriers, or whatever.

*That* is the real problem. And which is why, once you think that whatever you're sending to someone has been 'packed properly', pack it some more, just for good measure, as the extra layer of protection applied at that point, may just be the difference between the item getting to its destination intact or not!

I've sent stuff all over the world, and some of it extremely fragile, without any problems, such as a matched quad of NOS GEC KT88s, to Australia, minus their original boxes, which despite being handled, en route, many different times by different people, got there safe and sound.

One thing I've found that usually works well, is to thickly bubble-wrap EVERYTHING, whether you think it 'needs' it or not, and double, or even triple-box stuff, so that the contents have as many layers of protection around them as possible. Crucially, you also need to ensure that what's inside is completely prevented from rattling around, as that's often how damage occurs.

Consequently, the size of the package those valves ended up being shipped in, was about ten times bigger than they were!!

At the end of the day, it's YOUR responsibility, as a seller, to do as much as you can (and put in the required effort) to ensure that the person who's given you his or her hard-earned cash gets the goods that they've paid for, in the SAME condition they were in when they left - and in that respect too many sellers are lazy. After all, in most cases, full payment from the buyer will already have been received, so often the motivation to 'go the extra mile', in that respect, is lacking...

However, deliveries of items from commercial companies, shipped inside custom-made cartons and packaging, such as you're referring to, is a different kettle of fish from private sellers shipping items to buyers, often without access to the original boxes and packaging, and having to utilize whatever he or she has available, so I'm not surprised that you've experienced no problems with the former - you really shouldn't!

Marco.
    + 1

Agree completely.
    Regards Neil

I'm Russell.

I have suffered several shipping nightmares. I bought a pair of speakers once that had a fork lift tang hole through it! And UPS tried to say it wasn’t properly packaged. In the end they only paid me for one speaker. Fair I guess. And my recent amp purchase, they bent the fin, but it was not packaged as thoroughly as it should have been, it weighs 130lbs, the foam did not support it. My tuner arrived with the meters knocked slam out of the front. I fixed it rather than send it back. Dealing with a shipping catastrophe is such a major headache! No matter how clear cut the case is, they try their best to not pay off, after you’ve bought insurance from them to protect you from them! If you pay them to deliver a package, you’d thing they should include it being in one piece. But no, that cost extra! I’ve made a claim against both UPS and Fed Ex, and both were not in the least helpful, and it took a very long time to be compensated.

I like the way Jeff Roland packages his stuff! You buy one of his amps and it comes in a piece of luggage! Like pros pack concert equipment in for world tours. You’re selling a piece of gear that cost many thousands of dollars, what’s the harm in spending $150 for a custom shipping container? I’m sure they pay for themselves in fewer shipping damages. If any! Personally, I’ve gone to the local home improvement store and bought a sheet of 2” styrofoam, and made custom packing with heavy cardboard boxes. Seems the word Fragile has lost its meaning? So you have to pack for Armageddon.

Russell

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Seems the word Fragile has lost its meaning? So you have to pack for Armageddon.
    Exactly the case, or they see it as a challenge to test for fragility!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Personally, I’ve gone to the local home improvement store and bought a sheet of 2” styrofoam, and made custom packing with heavy cardboard boxes.

Russell
    That's exactly what I do.

I'm Martin.

'Fragile' tape or stickers are a waste of money. Everything gets treated the same at 3 am in a freezing cold distribution hub warehouse. Pack it to survive being dropped onto concrete from a height or kicked by a steel-toe capped boot. Not maliciously, but it happens. Lots of bubble wrap. Go nuts. And absolutely pack it tight, there should be no possibility of it moving even a fraction. Swaddle the thing. And if you are still not sure, then collection only.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    'Swaddle the thing...
    Mummify it.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Mummify it.

Marco.
    Get Egyptian on its ass.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

I slightly disagree here.

To me there are two main things to protect against; external penetration into the item, and excessive shock. Packing for no internal movement may transmit a shock into the item, and I decouple it if delicate with a thick slightly elastic internal padding.

Penetration from outside is harder to deal with, and needs a protection shell which I attempt using cardboard layers glued with PVA and use a hair dryer to mould where appropriate.

This latter, and cutting and gluing styrene chunks with Time Bond to form an inner mould is labour intensive, but worth it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast