+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: Top CD player wanted

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Russell,

Haha, yup! For me, the whole point of having a fast bike or a car is to listen to the sound of the engine (engine note), and enjoy that, as you're riding or driving it. It's certainly the whole reason why I fitted a bespoke quad exhaust system to my car, so I can enjoy the ROAR, as I accelerate!

Therefore, most of the time when I'm driving, even the music is off, for that purpose. I'd certainly have no interest whatsoever in interacting with a smartphone, unless someone important was calling me, and then I'd always find a safe place to stop to ring them back - but that would be it.

That's exactly why I wouldn't have them, even if I was still working. As far as bosses are concerned, they've got my full attention for as long as I'm contracted to work, and longer if they pay overtime, but after that MY time is MY OWN (or that of my friends or family)!!

Lol, I get that, but you see that's when I'd probably read a magazine, as usually in those places there are some good car magazines lying around, so I'll read those, or perhaps CHAT TO SOMEONE, who wasn't an iZombie!

Unfortunately it's not, and it's also bad manners and rather rude.

That's why kids these days [not all, but many] have such low-attention spans, poor manners, and often find it difficult to interact with people in 'real world' situations, simply because they're more comfortable typing to folk, than speaking to them face to face. And it can lead to rather reclusive and insular behaviour.

I can't see them growing out of it any time soon either, as it's not only them doing it, but also their parents, so we've now got generations of people brought up with mobile phones, and latterly smartphones, being an integral part of their life - and it's only going to get worse, in terms of technology controlling *you*, rather than vice versa.

Indeed! And that's my biggest problem with things like smartphones: 'Big Brother watching you', and insidiously and surreptitiously drip-feeding you with mind control. You may laugh, but I assure you it's happening - and has been for some time!!

Often those who scoff at such a notion, are those who are worst afflicted. Rarely do we see ourselves as we *really* are, and often we don't like to acknowledge or admit the unpalatable truth....

Marco.
    Marco let me relay a short story that happened just the other day. My smart phone was laying on the table, in standby, on but black screen. I have an iPhone, and I do not use Siri, I don’t want my phone talking to me. So, we were having a discussion, and we wondered what was up with almond milk? How do they make Almond milk? So, I said I’ll Google it! I picked up the phone went to Google’s home page and typed in, “how do they make......”, and the predictive text’s first option was “How do they make Almond Milk”. Is there any doubt that my phone in the off position was ease dropping on our conversation? No doubt in my mind.

(Incidentally, they crush them up into powder and add water.)

Russell

I'm Dennis.

In the last 500 years things have changed a lot.

Edward Bernhays' Public relations being used to effectively make us lose self possession is a major one.

The work of Solomon Asch and Stanley Milgram are also relevant to the understanding of human motivation, and used by powerful people.

The way in which all of our electronic coms and our transactions are logged, virtually provide a detailed map of our lives, and the data is bought and sold by large companies.

It seems inevitable that the Government uses it as well, probably with the excuse of terrorism prevention.

I'm Eddie.

Default The Opus 21 seller

It's the big bad seller of the Opus 21 here, Eddie. And it's back in my possession, what an ordeal!

I don't know what sound engineer you used Adey and I would be interested to see the bench report and analysis data recorded as I've just tested and checked it over. Despite it being just left outside in the cold on my doorstep by the courier for over 24 hours, nobody took it in or signed for it as there has been no one here to receive it (can't believe they did that). I've been away busy with work and the wife is visiting relatives. First of all, I took it in to acclimatise for many hours before even trying it, it was freezing cold and covered in damp when I unpacked it! And after all that, I found there to be absolutely 'no faults whatsoever' with this player, and no channel imbalance in the slightest, everything working as it should.

I tried it on two different amplifiers and it worked perfectly. Had others listen to it just to make sure I wasn't going completely mental, but nobody could hear any fault.

To take things further I have a mixing suite at home here being a musician, and I've studied sound engineering at university in the last couple of years for my degree, so I did some additional measured visual computer checks with it and found nothing wrong. I even ran the Opus's stereo outputs directly into the stereo inputs of an Xonar sound card which I have here and did some analysis of the channels via Cubase and Mixcraft, left and right channel outputs are perfectly linear which I have graphically measured and seen now as well as heard.

If there is anyone near the Pembrokeshire area that wants to come and hear an Opus please do we can arrange it, I would very much like you to. Or if you are near and have some decent equipment I'll even bring it to you. It's a fine CDP and thankfully it still is.

The worse thing about this I've just paid £110 for an Opus 21 to go on holiday to Spain and back (well it's not the worst thing actually as its all been stress and shit).

'Nothing' is going abroad in future. Others might be fine with sending to Spain and things 'may' work out for them, but I'll never take that risk again. But, you as sellers can make that choice.

I'm Slav.

I shipped quite lot of fragile electronics and speakers not only to Europe but all over the World ,never experienced what has happened to you , based on this in the future I will think twice before sending anything abroad , thanks for the update and good to hear cd-player is fine .

I'm Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    I shipped quite lot of fragile electronics and speakers not only to Europe but all over the World ,never experienced what has happened to you , based on this in the future I will think twice before sending anything abroad , thanks for the update and good to hear cd-player is fine .
    I've been lucky in the past also with some higher'ish priced items. But those were speakers mainly. A set of ProAc response 1sc's went to China and some Jamo Concert 8's to Russia but a few other random hi-fi items have gone also. Its one of the only times I had wished I listened to the Mrs, she said why are you even bothering sending things out of the UK, you're just asking for trouble!
    Last edited by westsounds; 24-02-2018 at 07:44. Reason: punctuation

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by westsounds View Post
    I've been lucky in the past also with some higher'ish priced items. But those were speakers mainly. A set of ProAc response 1sc's went to China and some Jamo Concert 8's to Russia but a few other random hi-fi items have gone also. Its one of the only times I had wished I listened to the Mrs, she said why are you even bothering sending things out of the UK, you're just asking for trouble.
    I've sold to China same speakers plus Tablette 2K , they must have a thing about Proac's . My previous McIntosh tube power amplifier was bought in Europe , it has glass front fascia and all tubes came with it , arrived in perfect condition on the pallet , sold it on back to person in Europe .Matter of luck I guess , painful as you're £100 down but it might've been unrepairable player you ended up with from what I read , sort of happy ending .

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Eddie,

Welcome to AoS, and glad that you've joined us to recount your side of events, as it now adds proper balance to the discussion

This really is a bizarre situation, as I don't doubt for a second anything you've just reported, and equally I don't think Adrian 'imagined' the channel imbalance he experienced either, although what seems likely is some weird incompatibility issue/anomaly occurring between the Opus and an (as yet unknown) aspect of Adrian's system.

For me, that can be the only logical explanation in this unfortunate tale of woe for both of you!

What needs done now is for the matter to be brought to a conclusion, to your mutual satisfaction, and I look forward to that being completed as soon as possible.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Eddie.

Hi Eddie,

Welcome to AoS, and glad that you've joined us to recount your side of events, as it now adds proper balance to the discussion

This really is a bizarre situation, as I don't doubt for a second anything you've just reported, and equally I don't think Adrian 'imagined' the channel imbalance he experienced either, although what seems likely is some weird incompatibility issue/anomaly occurring between the Opus and an (as yet unknown) aspect of Adrian's system.

For me, that can be the only logical explanation in this unfortunate tale of woe for both of you!

What needs done now is for the matter to be brought to a conclusion, to your mutual satisfaction, and I look forward to that being completed as soon as possible.

Marco.
    Hi Marco,

I am just going to put this sale behind me and learn from it.

This sale was done in anticipation of getting funds toward the eventual purchase of a naim CDP, nDAC and a big power supply to accompany it to accommodate my unhealthy growing obsession for naim boxes But the Opus will be staying put now at least for a bit. Any future sales of this sort of equipment will be on a collection only basis and done via local method.

Best regards

Eddie

I'm Martin.

This really is a bizarre situation, as I don't doubt for a second anything you've just reported, and equally I don't think Adrian 'imagined' the channel imbalance he experienced either, although what seems likely is some weird incompatibility issue occurring between the Opus and an (as yet unknown) aspect of Adrian's system.
    co.
    He tried it in two different systems, though.

Anyway at least the thing got back in one piece and no-one is down a massive amount of money. It's about the best outcome there could have been I suppose.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    He tried it in two different systems, though.

Anyway at least the thing got back in one piece and no-one is down a massive amount of money. It's about the best outcome there could have been I suppose.
    And sent it to a technician to analyse it. Just saying.

But like I said, I'm done with this sale, finito! And I really do have other things to do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast