+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: Top CD player wanted

I'm Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    For what it's worth Eddie, I had my first Lector (2 box) with my 552/135s/ProAc R4s and it stunned everybody who heard it (in their system on one occasion, too).Replaced the very fine Meridian G08. Even the change of 135s to valved mono's didn't change anything. Now I'm all valve, with the 4 box Lector and big ESLs; still complete synergy, and I couldn't see me reverting to a s/s CDP, however good.

Having said that, a dealer dem. of the CDS2 or 3 (I forget), the Linn CD12 and another CDP in my home in 2000 left nobody in the room in any doubt about the superior machine. By quite a margin for musicality par excellence, it was the CD12. At £12K then, however, it really wasn't on the cards !!! The same Naim CDP didn't acquit itself that well at a subsequent dem. at Grahams in north London, either, In an all Naim system BUT with big B & W speakers (not a good match).
    The Linn CD12 is a fine machine one of the finest ever made, theres no doubt about that Mike. Never had the privilege myself only heard of the myths, legends and folktales surrounding it.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    lower mains in spain maybe... seems most likely as it happened in 2 different systems. just glad its not faulty
    Who knows what's happened here Struth? It could possibly be that. It was seriously frying my brain at one point. I did actually ask Adey prior to the sale, are you sure it'll work over there, but he seemed to think there wouldn't be a problem. Plus I then thought I was being ripped off, you never know who the buyers are as you dont ever meet them and you hear about this thing happening. And its the sellers who usually get shafted in these situations, buyers can even use that to their advantage, it is one of the pitfalls of eBay. I only asked about the power as I've had previous experienced of a Luxman amplifier at one of my previous addresses which I had shipped in from Europe. The seller assured me it would be fine and it was fully tested before leaving. After I let it settle in the room for a few hours I plugged it in and it went up in a 'big' plume of smoke first try.

As I said previously, sending abroad (and even importing) is not something I will even contemplate in future. Maybe dealers have contingency plans to get away with it but I would not ever recommend it for any private seller. Even with our new modern global market place.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by westsounds View Post
    That's interesting reading Mike. And yes 'Little England Beyond Wales' is 100% correct as you put it been known as that for as far back as I can remember. Been permanently living in Pembrokeshire for 20 years now, and as much as I like aspects of it (and not so much others) I'm a city boy at heart. Whether I would feel the same way if I moved back to a city now is another thing. But your right Mike, it can be/is a wild land/seascape. Like the land that time forgot, some of it
    ...and that's exactly why I *love* it out there!

West Wales, for me, is where it's at, simply because it's 'off the beaten track', and not really on the way to any major city. Therefore, the pace of life is relaxed, people are generally not stressed out and running around like headless chickens, and there is none of the overcrowding/busyness one experiences in more centralised areas of the UK.

We may well move there at some point, when both Del and I are retired, or somewhere more rural in North Wales, as I'm the opposite from you, Eddie - definitely a country (or remote seaside location) boy at heart - as far away from 'the great unwashed' as possible!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by westsounds View Post
    As I said previously, sending abroad (and even importing) is not something I will even contemplate in future. Maybe dealers have contingency plans to get away with it but I would not ever recommend it for any private seller. Even with our new modern global market place.
    I guess, as with anything else in life, it's all down to what's dictated by your personal experience.

In that respect, everything is fine until you have a bad experience... I've had vintage CDPs (e.g. my current Sony X-777ES) arrive from Germany, in perfect condition, and with no issues whatsoever, and the same with valve amps from China.

Even shipping stuff within the UK can sometimes be fraught with problems - so as ever, it's just your Donald Duck!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adrian.

As I said earlier I don't want this thing to drag on - it's soured things enough for both Eddie and myself to the point that I won't buy something advertised on here that I've wanted for well over a year - but I don't think power was the problem. I have an idea or two but don't see the point of going over everything again.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Drew.

Surely the independent analysis by the technician sheds some light on the problem...What did he report?

I'm Lawrence.

Nice to see you here Eddie!

I'm intrigued it's difficult not to be. I can't see how a power difference could affect the channel balance unless some component in the output stage was out of spec in one channel in a part of the circuit that would multiply the impact of the voltage being lower (I'm thinking 220v vs 240v is that right?) than that expected just on the rail of that channel, but being in spec on the other channel the voltage drop didn't happen. Anyone know if that's plausible?

Sometimes odd things happen that you can't understand at first but then they make complete sense. There was the time my dac cut out but every time I walked across the room to check it, it came back on again as of it could detect I was near. I won't say what that was but can anyone guess?

I've also been playing with a NAS recently and it kept refusing to connect to the network, after several days of frustration and thinking the network card is bust, turns out the new ethernet cable I got is probably faulty.

There always an explanation, but it's not always what you expect.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940