+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Top CD player wanted

I'm Geoff.

You can get back into digital without a CDP. I got rid of my player and went for a streaming solution. Just a question of ripping your cds to flac. I think that £ for £ you will get better sound quality this way. This approach also means you can get the best out of any streaming service such as Spotify, Deezer or Tidal. My bedroom system includes a Raspberry Pi3 with Allo DigiOne. For less than £150 its hard to beat. For £1000 you would get an awesome streaming solution.

Geoff

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    You can get back into digital without a CDP. I got rid of my player and went for a streaming solution. Just a question of ripping your cds to flac. I think that £ for £ you will get better sound quality this way. This approach also means you can get the best out of any streaming service such as Spotify, Deezer or Tidal. My bedroom system includes a Raspberry Pi3 with Allo DigiOne. For less than £150 its hard to beat. For £1000 you would get an awesome streaming solution.

Geoff
    +1
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

An inexpensive way to check out audio streaming is with one of these:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...1305396/review

For £30 you can get an idea of the potential quality of digital streaming and whether it is for you. A useful feature of the Google device is that it has an analogue output as well as optical digital so you can connect it to your preamp without the need for a DAC. All you need is a 3.mm to RCA cable. The app is very simple to use, just make sure you set quality to highest when using the analogue output. It is not up to the quality of the digital output but for £30 is pretty impressive.

I think you will be surprised and it may incline you to look at higher quality streaming solutions.

Geoff

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Do you know where he is located? If one of us could collect and post it on it would save the £50 domestic cost.
    Having spoken to him again he would ship it using the video Global Shipping service - which I loathe. I'd prefer UPS.

How would this compare with say.a top Sony. X77ES or the Luxman D-38 (drool)?

It's a good price but reviews are mixed.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Ian.

I'm with Geoff and Edward. Got rid of a decent Meridian CDP years ago, replacing it with a Vortexbox and Meridian Director DAC. No digital nasties, rather analogue in sound. Controlled from laptop or iPad you can make up and save playlists, load up several hours of music, go random, get internet radio etc, etc. Lots more flexibility and fun than a straight CDP coupled with excellent sound quality.

I'm Dan.

Ive got a Bluesound Vault 2 Streamer Id well and then u could simply add a dac of ur flavour and choice.
    The Vault 2 allows u to pop in discs, it finds all the information for them, save them to the inbuilt hard drive and spits them back out. It can play directly from disc also but the copy sounds better.
    It covers all streaming services and internet radio and also has Bluetooth
    The app is by far the most responsive and nicest to use apps I’ve ever come across, even better than Aurelic Lightning DS app.

A two box so,union like this and a dac allows for huge amounts of flexibility.

I'm Adrian.

Thanks guys but call me old fashioned is really like a player and tangible media.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Sebastian.

I got a Gryphon Mikado
    Top notch.

Its all about redbooks on that player

2600GBP

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Won't ship outside of UK.
    well, you would live in the arse end of nowhere Adrian while we live with constant rain you are basking in sunshine, seems fair enough eh?
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Thanks guys but call me old fashioned is really like a player and tangible media.
    It's your choice of course, but although I have a collection of several thousand cds I never play them any more because the rips sound better. Before deciding to go to streaming I did audition a few high(ish) end cd players, but was not that impressed. In truth, I was a reluctant and late adopter of cds because there was always something about them I found harsh. Since going to streaming I have fond that this problem is much reduced. I am told by more knowledgeable parties that a lot is down to "jitter" and real time error correction. All I know is that the same tracks sound more analogue now and I am hearing more detail and nuances than before.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast