+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Top CD player wanted

I'm Edward.

Adey

Probably it is a risk on my part suggesting this in your CDP thread but why not see if there is a HiFi place near you that has a demo internet streamer/DAC you can borrow whilst you are looking for a replacement CDP? Then simply sign up to a free trial to a lossless streaming service (e.g. Tidal) and have a play. Zero cost (other than the petrol costs) and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised. Also you can have a sneek preview on the CD collection you are building up?

But perhaps not seeing that you pushed back previously on considering playing music without 'real' media. Just saying.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

montesquieu Guest

Lol I've just been bleating to Adey via PM about how rubbish streaming is compared to owning your owm media, and how I mainly use it for discovering new stuff (LPs or CDs) to buy!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post

The last thing I'd ship anywhere is a turntable. I got a Lenco a while back that was shipped to me loose in a box in a single skin of bubble wrap (around the whole thing including plastic lid), arm weights left on, platter left on, needless to say it arrived as a mixture of plastic shards and matchwood - this after I was assured it would be packed carefully.
    I've had three TTs (plus arms) sent to me without any problems. Two were Thorens 124/II decks (one with an SME 3012 arm), both posted from within the UK, well packed and arrived in perfect condition.

The third was an EMT deck with arm and cartridge, which came from Hungary. The vendor was a professional seller of EMT turntables and was well experienced in packaging them for safe delivery (I exclanged several e-mails with him on the safe packaging). The bearing was drained and the oil supplied in a separate bottle; the platter was packed so that the bearing surfaces were not in contact; the arm removed and packaged separately; and the whole packed in a substantial wooden flight-standard packing case, with 2" of stiff foam insulation between the contents and the packing case. I picked it up from Stanstead airport freight department, only to find the packing case was so large I couldn't get it into the back of my car or in the boot, so had to unpack the case and take the contents only!

Again, I have bought a dozen or so cartridges and all have been very well packed and arrived safely without problem.

I must be blessed?
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've had three TTs (plus arms) sent to me without any problems. Two were Thorens 124/II decks (one with an SME 3012 arm), both posted from within the UK, well packed and arrived in perfect condition.

The third was an EMT deck with arm and cartridge, which came from Hungary. The vendor was a professional seller of EMT turntables and was well experienced in packaging them for safe delivery (I exclanged several e-mails with him on the safe packaging). The bearing was drained and the oil supplied in a separate bottle; the platter was packed so that the bearing surfaces were not in contact; the arm removed and packaged separately; and the whole packed in a substantial wooden flight-standard packing case, with 2" of stiff foam insulation between the contents and the packing case. I picked it up from Stanstead airport freight department, only to find the packing case was so large I couldn't get it into the back of my car or in the boot, so had to unpack the case and take the contents only!

Again, I have bought a dozen or so cartridges and all have been very well packed and arrived safely without problem.

I must be blessed?
    It's a numbers game. Some years alone I must have shipped in or out a dozen cartridges.

I'm Edward.

Lol I've just been bleating to Adey via PM about how rubbish streaming is compared to owning your owm media, and how I mainly use it for discovering new stuff (LPs or CDs) to buy!

Well your vinyl setup sure sounded better than your streaming setup when I came over last month Tom. Maybe you have not set up your streaming items correctly? lol

Nah joking aside - horses for courses and all that. For a while now I have not had vinyl or CDs in my system so can't comment much other than to say what I hear is highly engaging (mixture of local files and Tidal lossless).

Anyway I hope Adey gets to where he wants soon, must have been very frustrating of late.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Mike.

I don't have a cd player in my setup but I listen to CDs all the time.

I just rip them to my Nas drive and then stream them to my Network Audio Adapter.

Might be the way to go.

Plenty people on computer audio forums say that ripped files sound better than the CD.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post

The other contender is Lector, their latest MK3 which has great reviews - I just need to check servicing.

A very good contender, providing your A.R.C. doesn't have too sensitive inputs, as the CDT 7 shunts out a very healthy voltage; at least, my mark 2 did. Very undersung machines and reliable, too. There must be a Spanish agent, I'd've thought, being next door, as it were.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Not if it's done right [essentially it's about addressing and elimninating noise, as computers and their associated circuitry are inherently noisy]...

What do you use, Tom, to stream music?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Not if it's done right [essentially it's about addressing and elimninating noise, as computers and their associated circuitry are inherently noisy]...

What do you use, Tom, to stream music?

Marco.
    It's not the sound that's the issue Marco, I use a Mutec MC3+USB SPDIF interface (asynchronous, galvanic isolation of the USB, super-evolved master clock etc etc) into the same Audio Note DAC I use with my AN CDT2/II transport and if I'm honest I'd be hard put to tell any difference between the two. It's very good indeed.

It's the user experience that gets on my tits - I much prefer vinyl and CD where available, I think the streaming interface cheapens the experience.

My vinyl remains better than digital and with the amount of effort, in terms of research, trial and error and setup time (and cash of course) that I've invested in optimizing my vinyl front end ... I can't see that changing almost regardless what I do on the digital side. With 4000+ LPs, it's worth the effort too.

I also much prefer vinyl to physically handle and listen to for precisely the reason I prefer CD over streaming - the connection to the physical object, as well as access to sleeve notes, librettos, performer details and so on.

I treasure my LPs (and quite a few CDs as well), in many cases for a whole rich complex of reasons relating to time, place and memory as much as to music. I simply don't get that when using a search interface to an online database spitting out playlists with variable levels of useful metadata. (I also have enough of PCs when I want to sit down and relax, I'm all day in front of a damned screen).

I'm Adam.

Indeed streaming is very good, and I really use it more than I ever thought I would (CDs I have ditched, as I hated the format and packaging etc.) but it totally misses the tactile element of the whole experience.
    No matter how comprehensive Roon and the like get, it can never replicate that. As said, when you have a lifetime's worth of vinyl and all the history and memories that come with it, extracting the best from it seems almost an obligation!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast