+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Top CD player wanted

I'm Adrian.

Update. Running direct into the ref 75 is a revelation in comparison to using the variable via the Truth. It sounds awesome - but.... Unless I'm going deaf in one ear there's a channel imbalance and no way of correcting it. It's consistent across CDs and very very obvious.

I've spoken to Resolution who say it could be a failing DAC chip (very expensive to sort out). But I need to do some experimenting - the Opus is the first source I've tried direct to amp and maybe the issue is the amp.

The reason I might not have heard this with the vinyl rig going into the truth is that the truth has no fixed balance point - so I might have unwittingly been compensating for the drop in volume on one channel.

It's easy to check if it is the cd - and I'll do that this morning.

It's also easy to check if it's half dead valves in one channel of the ref 75 - if it's not the valves then maybe the amp has a fault - which will really really piss me off and might not be easy to fix here in Spain.

If it's the Opus then I will be asking eBay for a refund.

Bugger
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Lawrence.

I really feel for you, I know how frustrating it is to buy a nice piece of kit and then find a problem with it, sometimes it makes me feel like giving up and selling it all off. But I've persevered in the past and have always got it sorted so far (or got an eBay refund). Have you tried swapping the outputs around if it goes to the other channel then it's the Cd or player (or cable, next swap them to rule that out), if it stays where it is it's probably the amp.

I'm Edward.

Also try the single ended outputs of the cdp if you are using the balanced outputs - or vice versa.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I really feel for you, I know how frustrating it is to buy a nice piece of kit and then find a problem with it, sometimes it makes me feel like giving up and selling it all off. But I've persevered in the past and have always got it sorted so far (or got an eBay refund). Have you tried swapping the outputs around if it goes to the other channel then it's the Cd or player (or cable, next swap them to rule that out), if it stays where it is it's probably the amp.
    That's my plan for today - swapping things out to find the problem. I think I'd be happier if it's a valve problem as this is easily fixed. Returning the CDP and going through the eBay crap is never much fun.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    That's my plan for today - swapping things out to find the problem. I think I'd be happier if it's a valve problem as this is easily fixed. Returning the CDP and going through the eBay crap is never much fun.
    Agreed, don't end up paying the return postage eBay do a print label option but I'm not sure what happens if you buy from overseas. Hopefully the seller would agree to pay if it came to that.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Neil.

If its the amp the problem won't move, by swapping left for right and right to left interconnect. If the CD player is the problem it will move. It could be the interconnect so trying another is also worth doing.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

It's not the CDP. Its not the interconnects. It's not the speakers. It's the amplifier. I'm about to swap over the power valves and see if that is the problem. It's a quartet of matched kT120. If they are the problem can I mix them to see if that helps? Or should I just wait and order new ones? If it's not the power valves I'll try swapping the signal valves. If it's not the valves then I'm in trouble!
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Lawrence.

Fingers crossed it's the valves.

I'm Slav.

Try swapping small signal valves first , power valves shouldn't make that much difference when aged .

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    Try swapping small signal valves first , power valves shouldn't make that much difference when aged .
    Yeah swapped power - same. Now swapped signal - waiting to stabilise. If it's not these then I've tried everything possible.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps