+ Reply to Thread

Thread: who calibrates their tv settings?

I'm jamie.

Default who calibrates their tv settings?

i downloaded a while back a calibration disk to set colours,contrast etc.
    it made a big difference to the picture quality,takes a bit of getting used to if you like watching in dynamic mode but you will get more natural colours and light.
    you can download all you need from here,
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Good idea, Jamie, but WOW there's a lot of techy shit in there I wouldn't have a scooby about, so not for the fainthearted or non-technically minded...

Besides, why go through all that palaver when you can simply watch a You Tube video, from a professional AV company, talking you through the whole calibration process on your particular TV, which you simply just copy?

Read here from my post onwards: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...788#post903788

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

i set mine with an apple app and not touched them since. cant remember the name of the app but you sent it to tv via an apple tv box and airplay
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good idea, Jamie, but WOW there's a lot of techy shit in there I wouldn't have a scooby about, so not for the fainthearted or non-technically minded...

Besides, why go through all that palaver when you can simply watch a You Tube video, from a professional AV company, talking you through the whole calibration process on your particular TV, which you simply just copy?

Read here from my post onwards: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...788#post903788

Marco.
    The dvd I downloaded is just that . It talks you through each step before you adjust, very simple to do, you don’t need to read the thread, just download the files and copy to dvd
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    The dvd I downloaded is just that . It talks you through each step before you adjust, very simple to do, you don’t need to read the thread, just download the files and copy to dvd
    Yeah, once done, no doubt the DVD is easy to follow. It's the downloading procedure outlined that is rather convoluted, and daunting for someone not technically minded. For example (from your link):

Quote Originally Posted by AVS forum
    DOWNLOADS Updated November 30, 2010
    Directly below you will find the project downloads. The HDMV and AVCHD versions are intended for playback on Blu-ray players, the MP4 version is compatible with many HD media players, and a Patterns Manual is included with recommendations for using the patterns. Following the downloads an area titled Steps To Use The Downloads explains the general process to create a playable disc. A more specific procedure is given under Example For Windows Computers to create a disc for Blu-ray players. The Download Notes area simply includes some additional details, such as general system requirements and troubleshooting information. For anyone that wants to create a disc for a Blu-ray player, you may want to start with the Blu-ray Players List at the end of this post, to determine if you should download the HDMV or AVCHD version.

HDMV (.exe) or HDMV (.7z) - See Download Note A
    Iso MD5: ad5006398671a54f96c314a3425621b0 - See Download Note D
    Plays on: Most Blu-ray players from BD-RE or BD-R media. See the Blu-ray Players List at the end of this post for more information on compatibility.
    Burn to: BD-RE or BD-R media with a Blu-ray burner.
    Note: This is a Blu-ray format, and it is primarily intended for BD-RE or BD-R media. If you only have access to a DVD burner, please check your player for AVCHD compatibility first. Some Blu-ray players do not support AVCHD and can play this version if burned to DVD media with a DVD burner, which will be listed as the DVDM option in the Blu-ray Players List.
    Includes: All content and features available from AVS HD 709, as shown in the Patterns Manual.

AVCHD (.exe) or AVCHD (.7z) - See Download Note A
    Iso MD5: 654920d1f3f1182423ecfbb75ff52263 - See Download Note D
    Plays on: Many AVCHD compatible Blu-ray players. The Blu-ray Players List at the end of this post includes more information to determine if your Blu-ray player supports this download.
    Burn to: DVD writable media with a DVD burner.
    Note: When using DVD media some players will only be able to play either the AVCHD or HDMV, and the other version will not work from DVD media. For example the PS3 can only play the AVCHD from DVD media, and some Samsung models also only play one version version from DVD media. Technically the AVCHD includes extended information and omits the AUXDATA, BDJO, JAR, and CERTIFICATE folders, which can affect playback from DVD media on some players.
    Includes: Most content available from AVS HD 709. Refer to the Patterns Manual for more information.
    Not Included: Some Misc. Patterns, such as the Mpeg2 video from dr1394, and the top navigation selections from the HDMV menus.

MP4 (.exe) or MP4 (.7z)
    Plays on: Many MPEG-4 AVC or H.264 video players. For example computer video players, or the Xbox 360 after an online update. See the player specifications for types of video supported.
    Media: Depends on player, for example the Xbox 360 can play files from DVD media.
    Includes: Individual AVC video test clips in an MP4 container. Limitations are listed in the next line, and the Patterns Manual includes further details.
    Not Included: Menus and navigation features, the HDTV Calibration video from HD Nation (see Related Links), or Misc. Patterns Mpeg2 video from dr1394.

PATTERNS MANUAL (.pdf)
    Note: Regardless which of the above versions you choose, please download the PDF document for general information about the patterns and recommendations on how to use the video sections. If you require further information about taking measurements, please see the documentation for the software you are using or refer to the Related Links area of this post. The pictures included in the Patterns Manual come from the HDMV version, and the AVCHD or MP4 version will not include a few features as commented above with the downloads.

ALTERNATE DOWNLOAD LINKS
    Note: If you happen to encounter any issues downloading from the prior links, the files are also available at http://W6RZ.net/

STEPS TO USE THE DOWNLOADS
    1) Choose a version: Decide on either the HDMV, AVCHD, or MP4 version depending on what HD player you want to use. HDMV will be compatible with the largest number of Blu-ray players if burned to BD-RE or BD-R media, so if you have access to a Blu-ray burner typically you would choose the HDMV version. There are many Blu-ray players today that are AVCHD compatible, so for people that want to calibrate from a Blu-ray player and only have a DVD burner the AVCHD would often be the version to choose. Burning HDMV to DVD media will not be as widely compatible as either of the prior choices, but if you only have access to a DVD burner it may work for a few Blu-ray players that are not AVCHD compatible. The Blu-ray Players List at the end of this post gives more information on how to select a version for your Blu-ray player. The MP4 version is intended for applications other than calibration with a Blu-ray player, such as some digital media players that can play AVC video. In any case your player must be able to play true high definition video, such as a Blu-ray or HD media player. None of the versions will work on standard DVD players, or upconverting DVD players, because those players cannot play actual HD video.

2) Download a compressed file and manual: Select either the .exe or .7z file to download, according to the computer operating system you are using. The .exe will work on Windows. The .7z is not system-specific, so it will work with Windows, Linux, or Mac with additional software. The HDMV or AVCHD can usually be downloaded with web browsers. Using a download manager that supports resuming (like Orbit Downloader) is another option to make sure you receive a complete file, and a download manager may also provide the fastest possible download speed. The downloads will take some time to finish, especially the HDMV or AVCHD version. How long the downloads take will depend on various factors, but a 6 Mbps connection might take at least 15 minutes. At this time, please also download the Patterns Manual, for some basic details on how to use the patterns.

3) Decompress the download: If you downloaded the .exe, Windows should decompress the file by double-clicking on it. There have been a few reports of the .exe failing to work, so if the .exe happens to fail on your Windows system you might instead try the .7z version. For the .7z, you will also need the free 7-zip software to decompress or extract the file. Here is a description for Mac, or Rucksack was also suggested for .7z decompression on Mac. The decompressed HDMV or AVCHD file requires approximately 4.4 GB of free space on a modern file system (See Download Note A). The MP4 download will decompress to video files and folders. If you happen to run into issues with this step, it could be due to an incomplete download, so please refer to Download Note B.

4) Burn a disc: The HDMV or AVCHD requires you to burn a disc after decompressing the downloaded file. This step does not necessarily apply to the MP4 version, but for the Xbox 360 you can simply burn the files to a writable DVD. The AVCHD version is intended to be burned to DVD media with a DVD burner. HDMV is intended to be burned to BD-RE or BD-R with a Blu-ray burner, but there are a few players that are not AVCHD compatible and can play HDMV if burned to DVD media with a DVD burner (DVDM option). Our recommendation is to use ImgBurn as shown below in the Example For Windows Computers for burning .iso files to disc. Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and Windows 7 or 8 also allow you to burn an .iso file to disc by right-clicking on the file from Windows Explorer, or this link gives step by step instructions for burning an .iso image with a number of Windows programs. On Mac an .iso can be burned directly from the disc utility application.

EXAMPLE FOR WINDOWS COMPUTERS
    The following procedure shows how to apply the prior steps for a computer running Windows. You can follow this example to create any of the HDMV, AVCHD, or DVDM options shown in the Blu-ray Players List.

1) Choosing a version: You may want to refer to the Blu-ray Players List at the end of this post to find which version your player likely supports. Consulting the specifications or manual for the Blu-ray player is another way to determine what version the device may play. Many newer Blu-ray players will list AVCHD support in their manual or specifications, and HDMV compatibility would generally be indicated if the player lists BD-RE or BD-R playback. For the AVCHD version you will need writable DVD media and a DVD burner. The HDMV version is primarily intended to be burned to BD-RE or BD-R media with a Blu-ray burner, but some players can play HDMV burned to DVD media with a DVD burner (DVDM option). For this example, let's say you own a PS3 and only have access to a DVD burner. Judging by the Blu-ray Players List the PS3 supports the AVCHD version, so in this example we will show how to create an AVCHD version disc that will play on the PS3.

2) Downloading a compressed file and manual: If your computer is running Windows, you can likely use the .exe download. Since the AVCHD version has been selected for this example, the AVCHD (.exe) link above in the Downloads area would allow you to begin downloading the compressed file. Usually a web browser will work for downloading, but if you encounter issues you may need to use software intended for downloading large files. Using a download manager that supports resuming (like Orbit Downloader) is one option to make sure you receive a complete file, and a download manager may also provide the fastest possible download speed. The downloads will take some time to finish, for example a 6 Mbps connection might take at least 15 minutes. At this time you should also download the Patterns Manual, to have some basic instructions for the disc.

3) Decompressing the download: Once you have downloaded the file for the option you selected, just double-click on it and you should get a window asking where to extract the file. Choose a location by clicking on the "..." button at the right, or using the written path displayed in the window (such as C:\\ in the image below). The location you choose requires a modern file system and must have about 4.4 GB of free space (See Download Note A). Once you have chosen a location, click the extract button. When the program is done decompressing, you will have a large .iso file in the directory you selected. If you are not presented with the following window after double-clicking on the .exe file, refer to Download Note B.

That's complete gobbledygook to me, and would need to be grossly simplified, before I'd even attempt it! Better still, would be for someone (perhaps your good self, since you've done it), to burn copies of their disk and send them out to members interested, for the cost of postage

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Not sure about classing it as 'calibrating' but I fiddled around with my telly for a bit until I was happy. The main problem out of the box was the back light was set way too high. Everything had that over-lit 'Coronation Street' look to it. I changed a few other parameters too but the back-light was the big improvement. It isn't like audio for me, I can't get anal about it. As long as I can see what is going on and it doesn't hurt my eyes. I spent far more time sorting out a system to run the sound through than I did setting the visuals. Already on the 2nd set of interconnects and speaker cables trying to get it 'just right'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I 'get anal' about both, because I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and so insist on getting the absolute best possible performance out of all my major sound or vision purchases, which a large 4K HDR TV qualifies as

Think about it, if you're building a home-cinema system to watch movies, to the highest possible standard, in HD/UHD, then what's the SOURCE, and therefore the most important component...?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Gary.

Great site that, good info.

Picture modes out the box were pretty spot on with my Sony A1E set, but getting it professionally calibrated as different rooms/lighting levels etc can affect tbe picture.
    Like Marco said, if a jobs worth doing..

That said, the info on the website is terrific and its always good to get your hands dirty and have a go yourself too.
    Its a great resource if you want to make fhe best of your set without getting it callibrated.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread