+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick check - Airlink BMU - which one?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hard to tell from the photo - what does the manufacturer say?

It is not sufficient to have an overcurrent protection device on the input alone.
    I've posted the specs above, Barry.

Bigman80 Guest

It's a thermal Circuit breaker BTW.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I've posted the specs above, Barry.
    Yes I know - and I would still prefer to see fast-acting protection devices fitted to both the primary and secondary side of the transformer.
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes I know - and I would still prefer to see protection devices fitted to both the primary and secondary side of the transformer.
    Ah, I didn't know if you had seen it.

Prefer......yup,
    Necessary......nope,

Well, according to the CE anyway.

I'm Neil.

Default Quick check - Airlink BMU - which one?

Thing is that balanced mains aren’t usually used at home... there is a potential fault condition where a fuse blows in the live phase, but you could still have 120V across neutral. This is why RCBOs are used on the secondaries, it would detect this fault condition. Don’t forget that the gear is no longer bonded to earth, but bonded to the centre tap of the secondary.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Thing is that balanced mains aren’t usually used at home... there is a potential fault condition where a fuse blows in the live phase, but you could still have 120V across neutral. This is why RCBOs are used on the secondaries, it would detect this fault condition. Don’t forget that the gear is no longer bonded to earth, but bonded to the centre tap of the secondary.
    Yup.
    RCBO’s on primary and secondary would be (and was) my choice.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Which in turn is connected to the mains earth, or should be. Otherwise your are correct in what you say.

Also there could be a fault with partial insulation breakdown (surface tracking) such that a leakage current of more than 30mA is drawn from one side of the transformer secondary winding. This leakage current will thus in turn be drawn from the primary, but will not be a 'residual' current as it will flow equally in the live and neutral wires of the (unbalanced) primary side, so any RCBO fitted in the consumer unit will not be affected and will not operate under this fault condition.
    Barry

I'm Jonathan.

Hi Jerry

How did you get on the Airlink balanced power supply? I'm thinking of getting one for my active speakers and digital front end.

Jonathan

I'm Deleted.

I have mixed feelings about mine.....
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I have mixed feelings about mine.....
    Do tell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast