+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Quick check - Airlink BMU - which one?

I'm Hugo.

I have a 2kW Airlink BMU and it offers a considerable improvement in tone/texture/detail etc, but it did somewhat 'go off' after a while. Out of curiosity I replaced the SL32 surge-limiting thermistor (the big black disc thing) with a new, identical component and the magic came back, in an instant. So, this leads me to suspect that these BMUs are probably better off with a proper 'slow start' circuit, such as the one that Sjostrom Audio sell as a bare PCB, to limit inrush current, rather than a thermistor. Sadly, there is no room in the case of my Airlink BMU for that circuit.
    Last edited by Ammonite Audio; 19-02-2018 at 12:25.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Do tell
    Sorry, only just seen your response. Well, it’s just that even at 3000Va I’m not sure it doesn’t quash dynamic swing a bit. I’ve diacussed this with Hugo before (Ammonite Acoustics) and he puts it down to the thermistor but I’ve not had time to experiment.
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Sorry, only just seen your response. Well, it’s just that even at 3000Va I’m not sure it doesn’t quash dynamic swing a bit. I’ve diacussed this with Hugo before (Ammonite Acoustics) and he puts it down to the thermistor but I’ve not had time to experiment.
    Hmmm, not had any issues with mine at 750va.

Hasn't got rid of the noise the powerline adapters are producing though.

I'm Deleted.

Hmmm, not had any issues with mine at 750va.
    But are you sure...... .. .
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

But are you sure...... .. .
    Yes. I took it back out this morning and put a homemade multiblock in instead. Lost the clean lines very slightly and felt everything was little less defined as a result. Put it back in and instantly improved.

I'm Deleted.

My issue could also be down to running my power amps through the BMU (although it should, in theory, easily be big enough to cope).
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

Yes. I took it back out this morning and put a homemade multiblock in instead. Lost the clean lines very slightly and felt everything was little less defined as a result. Put it back in and instantly improved.
    That’s a very good description of what it does improve - I’m not saying it isn’t without benefit, just that it isn’t also without some compromise...
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

That’s a very good description of what it does improve - I’m not saying it isn’t without benefit, just that it isn’t also without some compromise...
    True, as with all things mate. Nothing is perfect.

I'm Deleted.

It could also be down to having my power amps connected, or to Hugo’s suggestion - or to a combo of both.
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

It could also be down to having my power amps connected, or to Hugo’s suggestion - or to a combo of both.
    Could be, I do have everything plugged into the BMU regardless of the fact people recommend plugging the Amps directly into the wall. Just seems better that way to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast