+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 56

Thread: Quick check - Airlink BMU - which one?

  1. #41
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Valley of the Hazels

    Posts: 8,344
    I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Hasn't got rid of the noise the powerline adapters are producing though.
    Have you tried a ferrite snap clamp on the feed to the BMU?
    Chris



    Once we've made sense of our world, we wanna go fuck up everybody else's because his or her truth doesn't match mine. But this is the problem. Truth is individual calculation. Which means because we all have different perspectives, there isn't one singular truth, is there?

  2. #42
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 5,373
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Have you tried a ferrite snap clamp on the feed to the BMU?
    I haven't. Think it'll work?
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Firebottle modded Xiang Sheng DAC (Telefunken Valve)
    Amplification: Slagle AVC Passive Preamp & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves)
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables Throughout
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

  3. #43
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Valley of the Hazels

    Posts: 8,344
    I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I haven't. Think it'll work?
    It might.
    They can be picked up cheaply enough, so not much lost if it doesn't.
    Chris



    Once we've made sense of our world, we wanna go fuck up everybody else's because his or her truth doesn't match mine. But this is the problem. Truth is individual calculation. Which means because we all have different perspectives, there isn't one singular truth, is there?

  4. #44
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 5,373
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    It might.
    They can be picked up cheaply enough, so not much lost if it doesn't.
    Cheers, I'll give that a go.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Firebottle modded Xiang Sheng DAC (Telefunken Valve)
    Amplification: Slagle AVC Passive Preamp & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves)
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables Throughout
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

  5. #45
    Join Date: Oct 2008

    Location: Lake District

    Posts: 457
    I'm Rodger.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Thatís a very good description of what it does improve - Iím not saying it isnít without benefit, just that it isnít also without some compromise...
    I would tend to concur with your observation Mark, ABA-ing with Ballanced mains has manifest areas of improved fidelity viz sound stage, quality and density of base notes, dynamic swing etc.etc however that has traded off against a smidgin less finite micro detailing, particularly noticable on live recordings featuring an audience in the background, and a touch less nuance to the inflection of phrasing on vocals.

  6. #46
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 5,373
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    I would tend to concur with your observation Mark, ABA-ing with Ballanced mains has manifest areas of improved fidelity viz sound stage, quality and density of base notes, dynamic swing etc.etc however that has traded off against a smidgin less finite micro detailing, particularly noticable on live recordings featuring an audience in the background, and a touch less nuance to the inflection of phrasing on vocals.
    I'm really surprised by people's experiences in this subject. The BMU has increased the audibility of the micro detail in my system. The noise floor is lower, everything is better placed and spaced and the depth of the bass noticeable lowered too. I was a non believer in this sort of thing until a friend bought a N** BMU and reported his findings. He is a guy I have a lot of respect for and his finding prompted me to invest in a DIY unit. I simply won't be without it now, such is the impact it's had.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Firebottle modded Xiang Sheng DAC (Telefunken Valve)
    Amplification: Slagle AVC Passive Preamp & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves)
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables Throughout
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

  7. #47
    Join Date: Mar 2014

    Location: Herefordshire

    Posts: 91
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'm really surprised by people's experiences in this subject. The BMU has increased the audibility of the micro detail in my system. The noise floor is lower, everything is better placed and spaced and the depth of the bass noticeable lowered too. I was a non believer in this sort of thing until a friend bought a N** BMU and reported his findings. He is a guy I have a lot of respect for and his finding prompted me to invest in a DIY unit. I simply won't be without it now, such is the impact it's had.
    +1 for me on the above. Have found improvement across the board. One of the things I noticed about live recordings was the crowd was more audible and coherent as opposed to crowd on the left, crowd on the right without the BMU.

    I think a lot of the complaints against them could be sorted by having a big enough one. I have 4KW to power both ATC 50A`s and 2KW for the sources.

  8. #48
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 5,373
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blueflash View Post
    +1 for me on the above. Have found improvement across the board. One of the things I noticed about live recordings was the crowd was more audible and coherent as opposed to crowd on the left, crowd on the right without the BMU.

    I think a lot of the complaints against them could be sorted by having a big enough one. I have 4KW to power both ATC 50A`s and 2KW for the sources.
    Whether I'd go bigger, I don't know. The benefits v cost is an odd one. The one I made (with help) is providing probably as big an improvement as anything else I've done to this point.

    The draw on the current also is well below it's capabilities so why worry
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Firebottle modded Xiang Sheng DAC (Telefunken Valve)
    Amplification: Slagle AVC Passive Preamp & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves)
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables Throughout
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

  9. #49
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Sheffield - UK

    Posts: 5,978
    I'm Mark.

    Default

    At this minute I have my phonostage going through my BMU but with all the amps (and TT PSU) going directly to the mains.

    100% Analogue

  10. #50
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 5,373
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    At this minute I have my phonostage going through my BMU but with all the amps (and TT PSU) going directly to the mains.
    I know that's the projected wisdom but sounds better in my house with the amps in the BMU. No idea why though.

    Have you tried that?
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Firebottle modded Xiang Sheng DAC (Telefunken Valve)
    Amplification: Slagle AVC Passive Preamp & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves)
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables Throughout
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •