+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Vintage System

I'm keith.

Quote Originally Posted by gerlando View Post
    Amplifier: Audiolab 8000a, ION Obelisk, Rotel RA930 AX, Aura Evolution, Naim Nait 3, Cyrus One, Albarry PP1, NAD 3120, Rega Brio.....

Loudspeakers: Mission 770, Royd Minstrel, Rega Ela, Snell J/K, Epos Es11, B&W DM4, Celestion Ditton...
    im thinking all of those would be a fair bit over the £100-£150 i mentioned.

Besides i dont really want a plain black box, im thinking more along the lines of the silver faced pioneers, marantz, sony etc from the 70s. Something that looks good/interesting.

I'm gone.

A vintage receiver and a decent pair of vintage Brit speakers would sound great!

Something like this Trio maybe https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenwood-T...oAAOSwYxBaS6pY

£50. Cor, lovely ...

And maybe these £50 Wharfedale Dentons?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedal....c100005.m1851

I'm Martin.

Tasty looking Trio, but Dentons? That's left-field even for you. You want it to sound vintage as well as look vintage I guess?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Hmm. Trio, fine. Dentons pretty grim...............and fifty nicker? Take the '0' off the end and call it a fiver and I still wouldn't want them. Crude top, no bottom and thick mid. But other than that they're just fine.

I'm gone.

Well, OK - just trying to show the OP that not everyone here is like the hifi dealer you tell your budget limit to and he immediately starts offering you gear at 2 or 3 times or more the price.

OK, not Dentons, then.

How about a pair of Celestion DL4 for £45 or so?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Cele...AAAOSwJWFaYdyq

Or maybe these Mordaunt Short will end up within budget ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mordaunt-...IAAOSwFLBaU6CW

Anyway, I think the point is that a pretty decent, suitable and nice looking system can easily be had without stretching the budget beyond recognition.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed, as the AoS 'cheap as chips' systems, demonstrated at Scalford a few years back, ably proved! Remember those, and the impact they made?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Edward.

At one point I had some old stuff around and wanted to have a streaming system in a spare room. To make the connection I got one of these bluetooth receivers (paired with an ipad and streaming from my NAS/server). I already had a 3.5mm to RCA lead like this. Less than a tenner to make the jump from 70s vintage stuff to 21c digital streaming. Sounded b***** fantastic.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Rohan.

There were a set of B&W DM2 speakers in the classifieds for £100....excellent and although a bit larger, could do bedroom duty....maybe too big for what you want though!

I'm keith.

Yea that trio is more what im looking at. There seems to be plenty around of the 70s type of gear for 50-75 pound which would leave the rest for some speakers.

I'm Edward.

Keith, if a pair of vgc Kef Chorale III speakers of any interest feel free to PM me.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast