+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Although they are floorstanding designs they benefit from some diy improvements. I constructed some very solid plinths from bonded layers of 18mm mdf. They raise the speakers by about 20cm, but more importantly provide a much more stable base. I have effectively clamped the metal stands of the speaker this base and that has brought about big improvements in image stability and detail resolution.
    Excellent. Maggie's biggest flaw. Well done.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Excellent. Maggie's biggest flaw. Well done.
    Yeah they are rather flimsy in stock form.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dave.

When we used to sell Maggies, back in the 80s and early 90s, I used to make up beefier feet/brackets and also fit fuses bypassed with speaker cable. Voids the warranty but improves the sound considerably.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Well it would seem that the Maggies I was going to purchase have a fault on them, some sort of distortion, so that pair is probably a no-go now. I have been offered them as spares or repair

I guess I could see if I can get them repaired but don't know if I really want to go that route at the moment

So it might be that I will now look for a pair of Quads instead
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm tony.

Bev,
    My 57s are going on sale shortly!

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Well it would seem that the Maggies I was going to purchase have a fault on them, some sort of distortion, so that pair is probably a no-go now. I have been offered them as spares or repair

I guess I could see if I can get them repaired but don't know if I really want to go that route at the moment

So it might be that I will now look for a pair of Quads instead
    There are a couple of sites that show how to repair them ,I have not done it, as they work wires should be ok but may have detached from mylar film, I believe that it takes a bit of spray glue to fix, It all depends on how good your DIY thumbs are,
    http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M...aks/DavePride/

Any chance owner can take cloth grill socks off for you to have a look at the damage ?

How much does he wants ? and which model ?

Big Quad look very tempting to me as well A bit more money than new Maggies 1.7 I need to listen to them ...

I'm Dave.

The covers are a PITA to remove without damage and even more difficult to get back on and look good. The voice coil might well be detached in several places and if they are the model with separate ribbon HF, the ribbons can sag. All fixable if you have the skill and patience.

I'm Timothy.

Yep, about a bazillion staples on the grills/frame, unless someone has had them off before and didn't bother to put as many back in. Usually if the voice coil wires are "banana peeling", you can hear them snap around against the mylar if you turn the wick up a bit. Especially the bass section. All depends on how bad things are and where the action is happening. As others have said, they can be fixed if you have the time and patience, and provided they come at a really reasonable price to begin with. Getting new socks on isn't too bad at all really, it is probably the easiest part.

If you don't get these Bev, keep looking around, surely there will be something that will catch your ear!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The covers are a PITA to remove without damage and even more difficult to get back on and look good. The voice coil might well be detached in several places and if they are the model with separate ribbon HF, the ribbons can sag. All fixable if you have the skill and patience.
    Like trying to get a tank top off a hedgehog!

I'm Dave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast