+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

The Maggies are as tall as me...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Andy.

Supernait definitley drives Maggies. A dealer not too far away from me had a pair wired up to one and playing for a while. No issues with driving them, although I did think the sound was a bit meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Supernait definitley drives Maggies. A dealer not too far away from me had a pair wired up to one and playing for a while. No issues with driving them, although I did think the sound was a bit meh.
    That's great Andy thanks for letting me know

I won't know until I get a pair of Maggies here to try out... I've gone for the 'bargain' pair just to give them a go and if I like them I will get a better set later on
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

This is the point I was making. You can get a decent volume and an OK sound out of Maggies with many amps However, they are completely transformed with the right amplification!

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    This is the point I was making. You can get a decent volume and an OK sound out of Maggies with many amps However, they are completely transformed with the right amplification!

Geoff
    Thanks Geoff, however can you explain what the "right amplification" might be for Maggies ?
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

I'd have thought a Quad 909 might fit the bill rather well.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 19-01-2018 at 21:18. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd have thought a Quad 909 mught fit the bill rather well.
    You might be right there Geoff but I don't have it... just the Naim XS2 or Supernait 2

However if I like the Maggies in my room I am not 'fixed' to Naim at all... as much as I love the sound of my Naim at the moment...
    Bev

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    That's great Andy thanks for letting me know

I won't know until I get a pair of Maggies here to try out... I've gone for the 'bargain' pair just to give them a go and if I like them I will get a better set later on
    I'd do exactly the same. You never know until you get something in your own room and experiment a bit. Even something like a speaker cable change can turn something ordinary into a keeper. I really do like the look of many Magneplanars too. Mind you, the LVs are gorgeous too.

I'd do exactly the same. You never know until you get something in your own room and experiment a bit. Even something like a speaker cable change can turn something ordinary into a keeper. I really do like the look of many Magneplanars too. Mind you, the LVs are gorgeous too.
    Yes I love my LV's Andy but you know what it's like when you have an 'itch' to try something new...

Having something my height in the room might be 'interesting'
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

There is a lot of discussion on US and Maggie forums. Emotiva amps are considered a good budget pairing. I tried lots of powerful UK power amps on home trial. Exposure, Parasound, Audiolab, Roksan. None really were ideal. In the end I imported an Odyssey amp from the US. It was a custom design, a hybrid of their Khartago and Stratos models with upgraded components and power supply. The synergy is incredible!

Geoff
    Last edited by Sherwood; 19-01-2018 at 21:54. Reason: Typo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast