+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm Steve.

And if you do go for some 63s Bev there's an often overlooked sub-woofer option available for them (probably not made any more?) I got lucky on a used set from eBay during my experimental phase, which sadly I no longer have.

Astonishing bass response and they raised the Quads up to 'sitting-on-sofa-ear-height'.

http://www.regonaudio.com/Gradient%2...Subwoofer.html

Steve

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Moving up to Stoke then Justin? You know it makes sense
    Easier MiBO access. The genuine reason.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    We're trying to move house and the current plan is actually somewhere much closer to you... though not in Wales. Probs best left til then.
    No worries... It's a bastid when the bailiffs are after you!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I have to say that I loved my 57's when I had them and would definitely get another pair if I could fit them in width wise, actually one of my all time favourite speakers I've ever owned

I could have fitted in a pair of 63's as they are not as wide as the 57's, and was looking for a good pair, but the Maggies came up and they are sounding very nice

Colin will be getting his welder out very soon to make some metal brackets for the Maggies, bless him , actually he quite likes making things. The idea is initially just to get them upright and simply fixed to some sort of plinth and see how I get on with them before making anything more elaborate
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Tony.

My word Marco

I'm mildly impressed. a very reasoned response, rather then the early days of a Marco special retort, B+ sir

On the whole I am in agreement with pretty much of whats been mentioned as well, except for the part that 57's are best in class mid range. not even close.

Without question you wouldn't invest in 57's or 63's if you were looking for high SPL, big transient response music for Mahler, Wagner, Tchaikovsky etc or Metallic, Zep or Floyd.

As already pointed out their strengths lie in mid range renderings which they are good at no question, but seriously technology has really moved on. It is not just a question of textural layering, micro and macro dynamic response or timbrel replication all of these traits are given. It is the ability of a transducer to take you to heart of the performance without as many drawbacks as possible, like a window to the composer, artist or band time of inspiration at the time of creating that piece of music.

Conversely having a pair of 'big Bangers' than can blow your doors off ala' Phil Spector with the bass presence of a Saturn V during take off with all the subtly of Harmish Mc Shagnasty's Imperial bowel cleanser brew number 5 (ABV 45%) is also pissing in the wind of quality sound reproduction. Majorly exciting for short control bursts or long term mogadon abuse, difficult choice?
    So either a delicate wall flower or demolition derby to your ear drums?

They is more to music than either of those extreme's of sonic reproduction, getting the balance right is tricky and every one is very different.

However Justin made a very valid point concerning this:

"A high performance contemporary Apogee incorporating much of what Graz, Jon and I have learnt will simply amaze in many respects, but also feed you with so much auditory information it can feel like you are on information overload as you are literally assaulted with detail delivered at apparently blinding speed and with stunning levels of resolution. It is bloody addictive and highly exhilarating but coping with it will certainly not be everyone's cuppa as you sit there literally awestruck. But unusually for a planar they can do bass with more apparent definition and speed than the best cone speakers, and certainly lower and with more impact than any large ESL I have ever heard. But they do have excursion limitations so volume capability cannot approach a Wilson in the bass dept."

You can produce a sound which is genuine 'too real' for a great many individual's and it really does shock them and causes cerebral overload. By simply putting you inside the musical studio. This can overwhelming for many people.

There are higher levels of resolutions available other than Apogee's can generate, however it is the overall presentation that also delivers the impression / realism. This again depends on the source and transparent amplification that is feeding the speakers as always.

People have a comfort zone with their own type / style of sound and that is their benchmark which they use when listen to other systems.

For example on the realism scale of 1 to 10:-

If 1 is a pair of 57, Kondo 300B's and Meridian 808.2

Then 10 would a pair of Q7's, Dartzeel Mono's and MSB Diamond dac stack.

Most people on here fit in to the 4-6 bracket with a few guys venturing to 7.5-8.

This is purely a question of what each individual is looking nothing more.

How do you like your coffee, are you a Flat white, Americano or triple espresso?
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

Ouch... steady on..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Colin will be getting his welder out very soon...
    Is he indeed... So is that what you call it now? Lucky you!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Tony, interesting post - I'll comment later. Just about to tuck into my tea!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Is he indeed... So is that what you call it now? Lucky you!

Marco.
    Indeed....
    Bev

I'm Mike.

Bit late to today's party, but very good analysis by Marco, although based upon 57s and Mr C's intriguing piece about Apogees, of which I know nothing. I do, however, disagree with the specific genre allocation to ESLs, though obviously subjectively.

I do play Zep and, indeed, heavier stuff, plus full on Fairport. In fact, pretty much most genres except modern pop/rap (is that music?). My big Quads excel at all of these; even Mahler and big, orchestral classical. I couldn't say that about the 57s I had prior to the 2905s as, good as they were in parts, didn't do scale; nor range, though that was impressive considering. A curate's egg, maybe, but sufficient to push me straight into their modern big brother.

If the big Apogees make up for the limitations of my 2095s but lose nothing in comparison, they surely must be the epitome of planars. I rather think they may have quirky driving habits (a bit like Maggies?), and I wonder what sort of amplification would be suitable, as I've no idea.

Thought that I may have arrived at last, but if there's something................... Now, stacking 2905s; hmmm! Not sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast