+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Gary.

Get some quality valve amplification in there Tony, the Eddies will show you they can match the 57’s for vocals and midrange.
    With the added dynamic grunt and bass its the whole package.

Know your invested invested in Mr Wonfors amps, just an alternative way to skin a cat.
    Just saying if your still hankering after that 57 magic.

You’ve still a lot of pain to go through until the new kit has bedded in though, let that pass and see where you are.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Get some quality valve amplification in there Tony, the Eddies will show you they can match the 57’s for vocals and midrange.
    With the added dynamic grunt and bass its the whole package.

Know your invested invested in Mr Wonfors amps, just an alternative way to skin a cat.
    Just saying if your still hankering after that 57 magic.

You’ve still a lot of pain to go through until the new kit has bedded in though, let that pass and see where you are.
    Im hearing you Gary but im very happy with the noise getting made with the class A.

Incremental improvements every day with the eddies and cables settling down but at the end of the day you cant get round the physics of moving big drivers as opposed to a mylar film.

The ESLs are incredibly fast and dont have any cabinet noise- pure pish at Floyd though!!!

TheMooN Guest

Not at all, as you say, on close miked singer songwriter or Bach cello concerto they Remain quite magical, I mention later ESL's Viz ML CLX mostly because the extra power handling allows one to pressurise ones room to an extent where micro details can become macro details within a 3D soundstage, should that be ones thang.
    Last edited by TheMooN; 08-03-2018 at 20:06.

I'm Justin.

Lotta truth in these last few posts. What is easy to see is there is commonality of agreement, really, on various Quads and how they perform.

57s just do mid range magic and nowt else really. 2905 did have a go at bass. CLX does good bass but gives up at 57Hz.

MLs and Quads fail at low volume where they turn into a wishy washy ill defined mess. The ML hybrids at least do bass well and sound quite dynamic. I owned MLs for 17 years.

I've never felt any urge to own Quads but I do see the 57s appeal. The other models I don't, really. Dull and muffled sounding I have usually found, with a total lack of meaty low end.

A high performance contemporary Apogee incorporating much of what Graz, Jon and I have learnt will simply amaze in many respects, but also feed you with so much auditory information it can feel like you are on information overload as you are literally assaulted with detail delivered at apparently blinding speed and with stunning levels of resolution. It is bloody addictive and highly exhilarating but coping with it will certainly not be everyone's cuppa as you sit there literally awestruck. But unusually for a planar they can do bass with more apparent definition and speed than the best cone speakers, and certainly lower and with more impact than any large ESL I have ever heard. But they do have excursion limitations so volume capability cannot approach a Wilson in the bass dept.

I do appreciate those who have heard older Apogees and smaller models than the ones I own might find it difficult to appreciate what I have said above, as I too have heard sub-optimal Apogees.

What's best then? Whatever you like, really. That simple.

TheMooN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Lotta truth in these last few posts. What is easy to see is there is commonality of agreement, really, on various Quads and how they perform.

57s just do mid range magic and nowt else really. 2905 did have a go at bass. CLX does good bass but gives up at 57Hz.

MLs and Quads fail at low volume where they turn into a wishy washy ill defined mess. The ML hybrids at least do bass well and sound quite dynamic. I owned MLs for 17 years.

I've never felt any urge to own Quads but I do see the 57s appeal. The other models I don't, really. Dull and muffled sounding I have usually found, with a total lack of meaty low end.

A high performance contemporary Apogee incorporating much of what Graz, Jon and I have learnt will simply amaze in many respects, but also feed you with so much auditory information it can feel like you are on information overload as you are literally assaulted with detail delivered at apparently blinding speed and with stunning levels of resolution. It is bloody addictive and highly exhilarating but coping with it will certainly not be everyone's cuppa as you sit there literally awestruck. But unusually for a planar they can do bass with more apparent definition and speed than the best cone speakers, and certainly lower and with more impact than any large ESL I have ever heard. But they do have excursion limitations so volume capability cannot approach a Wilson in the bass dept.

I do appreciate those who have heard older Apogees and smaller models than the ones I own might find it difficult to appreciate what I have said above, as I too have heard sub-optimal Apogees.

What's best then? Whatever you like, really. That simple.
    Not in my room Justin, Minus 2db at 48. a guy I chat too sent me his in room CLXmes, minus 3db at 44, don't always believe what's out there, ML privately state that they prefer to be conservative with their published DB levels.

its also about the 'quality' of that base No? I would prefer clean and coherent single panel base at those levels than overblown 'woooooooMfff.... base down to the 30's

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    Not in my room Justin, Minus 2db at 49, a guy I chat too sent me his in room CLX minus 3 dd at 44, don't always believe what's out there, ML privately state that they prefer to be conservative with their published DB levels.
    I can believe that. The Behringer test mic I have says mine are +/- 0DB at 21 Hz. Apogee never claimed less than 30Hz for Duettas I believe.

CLX when right doesn't actually sound that bass constrained with a lot of material. I loved them with all ARC kit until the signal hit some Jadis JA200s. Fabulous.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I can believe that. The Behringer test mic I have says mine are +/- 0DB at 21 Hz. Apogee never claimed less than 30Hz for Duettas I believe.

CLX when right doesn't actually sound that bass constrained with a lot of material. I loved them with all ARC kit until the signal hit some Jadis JA200s. Fabulous.
    Only heard the Jadis JA200 once at the Heathrow show years ago. They were driving Anthony Gallo I seem to remember. Superb controlled bass I have never forgotten.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post
    Only heard the Jadis JA200 once at the Heathrow show years ago. They were driving Anthony Gallo I seem to remember. Superb controlled bass I have never forgotten.
    I remember Gallos and JA80s at Heathrow. Nice cuddly warm sound from that combo.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

A very enjoyable and entertaining post Tony C, never really fancied Quads myself but have only heard them casually.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Steve.

And if you do go for some 63s Bev there's an often overlooked sub-woofer option available for them (probably not made any more?) I got lucky on a used set from eBay during my experimental phase, which sadly I no longer have.

Astonishing bass response and they raised the Quads up to 'sitting-on-sofa-ear-height'.

http://www.regonaudio.com/Gradient%2...Subwoofer.html

Steve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast