Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm Geoff.

51bbkWsHRfL.jpg

Some of us prefer to be Naimless!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    51bbkWsHRfL.jpg

Some of us prefer to be Naimless!
    As you say Geoff they are very power hungry.. I like how they sound though... very early days..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    As you say Geoff they are very power hungry.. I like how they sound though... very early days..
    Glad to hear that you have found a good working pair. Hope that your Naims have the muscle to do them justice. Is there any AoS member near you that would loan you a muscle amp to hear their full potential. I hear that the Quad 909 makes a fair stab with 1.7s.

Geoff

Glad to hear that you have found a good working pair. Hope that your Naims have the muscle to do them justice. Is there any AoS member near you that would loan you a muscle amp to hear their full potential. I hear that the Quad 909 makes a fair stab with 1.7s.

Geoff
    I don't know but to be honest the more the amp is warming up, it takes a while to settle after being switched off, the better the Maggies are sounding and the placement at the moment is rubbish so there is more to come I think
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Certainly my riskiest hifi purchase ever, I didn't even hear them, it wasn't 'that kind of deal' if you know what I mean and the seller didn't have anything to hook them up to anyway

I was just amazed when I wired them up and sound came out to be honest
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

I don't know your room dimensions, but before you find a final position for them, try bringing them right out into the room. I would say around 3/8th the length of the room. You don't need them too far from the side walls, as being dipoles they do not radiate much energy laterally, though they do benefit from a few degrees of toe-in.

I think you will be amazed at the scale of the image they can create and how such large panels can disappear sonically.

Geoff

Colin has offered to build me a set of stands that will place the Maggies at 90 degrees which I think will be better than the 'lean' of standard stands, bless him

At the moment I have no stands at all and I've just plonked them on the stone bases I used with the LV's and leaned them onto the back wall, with suitable rear padding... as I said the placement is completely rubbish at the moment so I know they have a lot more to give

The Maggies sound, even with the current rubbish placement, is just lovely. They have absolutely no listener fatigue and sound rich and musical to me
    Bev

I'm Sandro.

I don't know your room dimensions, but before you find a final position for them, try bringing them right out into the room. I would say around 3/8th the length of the room. You don't need them too far from the side walls, as being dipoles they do not radiate much energy laterally, though they do benefit from a few degrees of toe-in.

I think you will be amazed at the scale of the image they can create and how such large panels can disappear sonically.

Geoff
    Quite agree !!!!
    my room is 16Ft X 15 FT being GF less they are on the widest wall much further apart than when I was using the Polk
    I still have the loan pair and the new ones should arrive by the end of the week.
    Bearing in mind that I have the Paradise whit stock value RIAA (bit lively hi cut) I found that a 0.47 R replacing the bridges improves things a bit
    I have also had a chance to try the Supremus Cable and for the first time I can say the difference that made was quite evident straight away
    I have a 1 meter set of this on order It is a 6 CSA cable and I wonder if the same CSA cable made up whit multiple runs of trirated 0.75 would do the same trick
    Well I have the reference so I will experiment same time in the future.

I am new to Maggies and I do realise that they are different from ported floor standers, punch in the tummy and air pressure volumes are not there, but IMO staging and details make the compromise scale tip in the Magies favour.
    So what should I expect from the brand new pair out of the Box ? I been told that they take a while to run in

I'm new to Maggies as well

What loan pair do you have Sandro ?

What amp are you using?
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    Quite agree !!!!
    my room is 16Ft X 15 FT being GF less they are on the widest wall much further apart than when I was using the Polk
    I still have the loan pair and the new ones should arrive by the end of the week.
    Bearing in mind that I have the Paradise whit stock value RIAA (bit lively hi cut) I found that a 0.47 R replacing the bridges improves things a bit
    I have also had a chance to try the Supremus Cable and for the first time I can say the difference that made was quite evident straight away
    I have a 1 meter set of this on order It is a 6 CSA cable and I wonder if the same CSA cable made up whit multiple runs of trirated 0.75 would do the same trick
    Well I have the reference so I will experiment same time in the future.

I am new to Maggies and I do realise that they are different from ported floor standers, punch in the tummy and air pressure volumes are not there, but IMO staging and details make the compromise scale tip in the Magies favour.
    So what should I expect from the brand new pair out of the Box ? I been told that they take a while to run in
    I am on my second pair of Maggies and I did not find they took time to run in. My current pair are 1.7s and I have not found them deficient in terms of "shifting air" but as I have said (ad nauseam) they take a lot of driving to come alive. It took some time to get the amplification right. Never bothered with resistors as I find the balance fine for me. The biggest weakness for me with Maggies is getting them stable and firmly mounted. I built my own stands which raise them about 25cm off the ground and provide a much more stable base.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast