+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm Martin.

2 Naim amps to sell, you could buy something good with the money they'll fetch
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

That's a bit harsh..

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    2 Naim amps to sell, you could buy something good with the money they'll fetch
    Exactly what I was thinking but I didn't dare say it!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking but I didn't dare say it!
    Speaking of amps that'd be good with Maggies: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ower-amplifier
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Andy.

It's a pity that Aragon 4004 got snapped up at £350. Might've been ideal or the job and ridiculously cheap.

I'm Chris.

Interesting you rate a Panel speaker with a Horn.
    I had 57s before I got my (then) Klipschorns, in the 80s.
    The 57s are great-the 'window into music' description not at all a hype.
    They didn't SEEM to get louder, just clearer-until you went into another room and realised how loud they were!

It's the same with headphones-my Isodynamic phones sound great.

(My Hafler DH200 amp worked fine with 57s)
    Chris.

I'm Gordon.

Bev, which Maggies are you getting?

Whether they are difficult to drive depends very much on the model.

Many Maggies are almost a purely resistive 4 ohm load - they are not difficult to drive - but all models do prefer current. Can the amp you're intending to use double its power output into a 4 ohm load? If it can or can get close to doing that then you should have no problem.

I've owned Maggies for more than 30 years and still have 2 pairs. They are generally very robust speakers....can throw a huge soundstage...and if you get hooked on them you may find there is no going back to boxes....

Gordon

I'm Justin.

Parasound A21 plus a fairly good valve pre. That'll work well for circa £2K 2nd hand.

Really, really well.

Trust me. I tell no lie. Watch this jewel swinging back and forth.

I'm Mike.

As an ESL owner (Quad 2905 ; sorry, avatar out of date), I'm also interested in Maggies and M.L.s.. The medium sized Maggies I heard last November in the East of England show were liked by all 4 of us who went. Not quite ticking all boxes, but it was a large room. Heard big Maggies a generation ago in a big private domicile, and was impressed then, too.

I have no doubt about the big M.Ls, either (Summits) as I was impressed by relatively dinky M.L.s locally a decade ago. However, the very narrow dispersion angle (30 degrees?) puts me off a bit; that and, as with Maggies, they're American (no bias here, just practicalities).

Someone here mentioned sound-staging re. Maggies, but I wonder what the individual attributes are for each format of planar speaker. After 50 years at the moving coil speaker face, as it were, there's no reverting to boxes for me. 100 W/ch valved mono's are perfect for my ESLs, but maybe not for Maggies or M.Ls, which I suspect need more (s/s) welly.

Interesting thread.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    As an ESL owner (Quad 2905 ; sorry, avatar out of date), I'm also interested in Maggies and M.L.s.. The medium sized Maggies I heard last November in the East of England show were liked by all 4 of us who went. Not quite ticking all boxes, but it was a large room. Heard big Maggies a generation ago in a big private domicile, and was impressed then, too.

I have no doubt about the big M.Ls, either (Summits) as I was impressed by relatively dinky M.L.s locally a decade ago. However, the very narrow dispersion angle (30 degrees?) puts me off a bit; that and, as with Maggies, they're American (no bias here, just practicalities).

Someone here mentioned sound-staging re. Maggies, but I wonder what the individual attributes are for each format of planar speaker. After 50 years at the moving coil speaker face, as it were, there's no reverting to boxes for me. 100 W/ch valved mono's are perfect for my ESLs, but maybe not for Maggies or M.Ls, which I suspect need more (s/s) welly.

Interesting thread.
    I agree that buying Maggies in the UK is a problem. Although there are several UK dealers, the mark up on the US prices is large. There is a new(ish) 0.7 model though which would be feasible to bring back to the UK as cargo hold, and which represents great value even after vat and duties. It has much of the quality of my 1.7s albeit in a smaller form factor.

If anyone is seriously considering going for Maggies I would encourage them to audition them with the proper amplification. Given some notice I would be willing to demo my system to those contemplating a Magneplanar purchase.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast