+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Show 2018 - Leamington Spa

I'm Rob.

Default Audio Show 2018 - Leamington Spa

I've just had a pleasant morning in Leamington Spa at the Audio Show 2018.

Highlight of the show for me was a setup of Thoress amplifiers and a pair of Italian speakers. It was as though you could do a material comparison of strings they sounded so real. Lovely

However, I think another important aspect of the show was how much excellent low budget equipment was on show. For example an interesting mini pre/power amplifier setup:

There was a nice relaxed atmosphere, and generally lots of lovely sounding system. So a very enjoyable morning.

Apologies for the quality of the photos (mobile phone snaps)
    Last edited by ReggieB; 22-09-2018 at 14:57.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Rob.

An unusual system was that shown by Living Sound which seemed to comprise 6 speakers, arranged asymmetrically and a dedicated studio recording technique. It sounded good, but not revolutionarily so as was being touted. The players did sound to be "in the room" but I've heard a lot of systems do the same, and the sort of music (string and Jazz quartets) tends to lend itself to that sort of delivery. So in summary a good sounding system, but not ground breaking in my opinion.

And I should also mentioned, they seemed to be at the show looking for investors in the business rather than with a product to sell - which was unusual.
    Last edited by ReggieB; 22-09-2018 at 14:22.
    Rob.

I'm Rob.

Another system I particularly enjoyed was demonstrated by Waterfall Audio. The glass speakers sounded good, with a nice clean sound with a lack of obvious cabinet colouration. The video of Nils Lofgren was particularly enjoyable.

Last edited by ReggieB; 22-09-2018 at 14:58.
    Rob.

I'm Rob.

I was also impressed with the Kerr Acoustic speakers being shown in a few rooms. The K320 seeming to hit a sweet spot of sounding excellent without having to mortgage the youngest child to afford them. Here are the smaller K300's in the Longdog Audio room (part of a very nice system)

Sorry - that's a very poor photo.

In Kerr's main room they had a system using a vintage Sony Pre-amp, and Pioneer stable platter CD player that sounded excellent. It was great to see so much affordable good quality Hi-Fi on show. It wasn't just esoteric stuff that I could never imagine being able to afford.
    Last edited by ReggieB; 22-09-2018 at 14:59.
    Rob.