+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm Grant.

Current=Voltage/Impedance, thus you need a lot of reserve current to drive and keep control of speakers when the impedance drops toward 2 or 3 ohms. That said if you are not striving for high volumes then the amp you have should be fine
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm tony.

I have both 63s and 57s.

My son managed to kill the 63s whilst i was away on holiday-they will get fixed one day.

They both worked fine with a variety of amps valve/t amps/hybrid and ss.

I reckon you will be fine with your naim amp....hope it works out well.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Supernait definitley drives Maggies. A dealer not too far away from me had a pair wired up to one and playing for a while. No issues with driving them, although I did think the sound was a bit meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    This is the point I was making. You can get a decent volume and an OK sound out of Maggies with many amps However, they are completely transformed with the right amplification!

Geoff
    Exactly.
    Maggies shouldn't sound 'meh' - that just shows the amp isn't up to the task.

When I first got my recent Maggie 1.6QR for my 2nd system (which I then sold on to Alan Firebottle) I used them with a 70wpc Sony integrated - which fairly promptly died on one channel .
    -- I'd be very wary of trying to drive your Maggies hard, Bev - the Naims might not be up to it and the consequences might be severe.

I'm Dave.

I have used a Supernait with Maggies and the result was uninspiring. Without a powerful amp with 'grip', the Maggies are slow and bland. Give them some proper drive and they come alive.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I have used a Supernait with Maggies and the result was uninspiring. Without a powerful amp with 'grip', the Maggies are slow and bland. Give them some proper drive and they come alive.
    Exactly!!!!!!

I'm Dennis.

The CLS 2s that I sold for a friend were inititally driven by his Naim 250, which repeatedly cut out, and a dealer stated that he would not buy them on the basis of that demo.

I substituted my ATC SIA-150 and that drove them well. So, limitations in Naim amps seems established.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

So are electrostatics any easier to drive than Maggies ?
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    They both require good amplification but different types of amplification. Maggies are great speakers and fantastic value for money but notoriously difficult to drive.

Geoff

I'm Sandro.

I have been waiting a couple of weeks to get a pair of 1.7 to try whit my F5
    I hope they will be ok ...
    They may be here next week end

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Both are difficult to drive in their own ways. Your Naim will drive the Maggies but you won't get the best from them and I wouldn't use a Naim with ELS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast