+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm Sandro.

I got the 1.7 I from Doug Brady (PS they have an ex demo pair of 3.7i that they like to sell but they where to expensive for me)

I am using my own built F5 to be honest I was quite surprised on how good this combo sound
    The amplifiers where built and worked quite well whit the Polk LSi15 (4 homes)
    The Magies do not go as loud as the Polk would but we are talking ridiculous neighbour pleasing levels and I almost never listen that hi any way

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    I got the 1.7 I from Doug Brady (PS they have an ex demo pair of 3.7i that they like to sell but they where to expensive for me)

I am using my own built F5 to be honest I was quite surprised on how good this combo sound
    The Magies do not go as loud as the Polk would but we are talking ridiculous neighbour pleasing levels and I almost never listen that hi any way
    For me, the amplification is not about greater volume but more to do with greater control. I found that with the right amplification the solidity of the sound improved markedly as did the attack and speed of the sound.

Geoff

I'm Sandro.

Tanks Geoff
    I was looking at stands and such I been told that they do improve things

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Colin has offered to build me a set of stands that will place the Maggies at 90 degrees which I think will be better than the 'lean' of standard stands, bless him

At the moment I have no stands at all and I've just plonked them on the stone bases I used with the LV's and leaned them onto the back wall, with suitable rear padding... as I said the placement is completely rubbish at the moment so I know they have a lot more to give

The Maggies sound, even with the current rubbish placement, is just lovely. They have absolutely no listener fatigue and sound rich and musical to me
    What happened to the original brackets they came with?

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I that the First Watt F5 amp Sandro? I'm not sure of the output of that amp but I am guessing it's not huge.. are you finding it drives the 1.7 ok?

I am also with you on the "ridiculous neighbour pleasing levels" and to be honest I don't like my music too loud anyway...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    What happened to the original brackets they came with?
    I have absolutely no idea Geoff... the chap I purchased them from was going to mount them directly onto the wall, bad idea, so I guess he wasn't bothered that they had no brackets
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Tanks Geoff
    I was looking at stands and such I been told that they do improve things
    I will post some pictures of my home made stands tomorrow. Made up of 18mm mdf cut to size at B&Q (free service). Effectively 50cm by 50cm plinths 25cm high.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I will post some pictures of my home made stands tomorrow. Made up of 18mm mdf cut to size at B&Q (free service). Effectively 50cm by 50cm plinths 25cm high.

Geoff
    Super Geoff, thanks... it will give Colin something to go on
    Bev

I'm Sandro.

DSCF2233.jpgWP_20180112_12_18_29_Pro.jpg
    Well yes it is the Pass Labs F5 but whit twin transistors and biased at 2.6 A hardly the vanilla version
    On the first picture is just the power supply whit the firs bank of caps
    I don't have pictures of the 2 mono blocks on me ( at work at present) they are the black slabs of granite behind the records
    I made them ready to take an extra output stage and go balanced eventualy so to have 2 times as much current at half the voltage but it is hardly necessary at present whit 1000 VA trafo and 200K uF

I'm Sandro.

I was thinking of 50 mm thick slabs of marble to keep my F5 look and a sturdy brace hi up 3/4 way on the sides
    The fitted feet are a bit wobbly IMO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast