+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Exactly Justin... if, long term, I got on with my rather old Maggies I will be considering something newer from Magneplanar which will probably be the new 1.7i's
    Don't discount the smaller 0.7's. These are amazing and easy to bring back from the US as cargo hold. Yes, vat still payable but nothing like the mark up of UK dealers!

Geoff

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Don't discount the smaller 0.7's. These are amazing and easy to bring back from the US as cargo hold. Yes, vat still payable but nothing like the mark up of UK dealers!

Geoff
    Thanks Geoff... how do the 0.7's compare the the larger 1.7i's? I am guessing that the bottom end is not as extended

The reason I purchased my rather old MG1's is that they are the 'larger' Maggies so as not to compromise too much on the bottom end... however I am not a bass freak..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Without equalisation and not taking into account room effects, the bass extension of dipole speakers is largely governed by the smallest dimension across the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Without equalisation and not taking into account room effects, the bass extension of dipole speakers is largely governed by the smallest dimension across the speaker.
    Could you explain a bit further Geoff? as I'm not sure I quite understand ... ooops
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Could you explain a bit further Geoff? as I'm not sure I quite understand ... ooops
    If you have the energy Bev, you could look through this.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/loudspea...s-part-15.html

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If you have the energy Bev, you could look through this.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/loudspea...s-part-15.html
    That's a bit heavy for me Geoff... I'm only a 'girly' you know

I can say that my MG1's have a bass of : 428in² .... does that mean anything at all ? apparently the new 1.7's have a midbass : 442in² .. so slightly larger
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

Bev,

yes the theory is important, but first hand subjective experience more so. If you plan a trip to the US (unfortunately you will find it difficult to hear the 0.7s in the UK) then schedule a trip to a Maggie dealer. My guess, having owned two set of Maggies now, is that you will be coming home with some new speakers,

Geoff

Bev,

yes the theory is important, but first hand subjective experience more so. If you plan a trip to the US (unfortunately you will find it difficult to hear the 0.7s in the UK) then schedule a trip to a Maggie dealer. My guess, having owned two set of Maggies now, is that you will be coming home with some new speakers,

Geoff
    I am certainly not planning a trip to the US, but you never know Geoff

Which Maggies did you own before your 1.7's ?
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

I am certainly not planning a trip to the US, but you never know Geoff

Which Maggies did you own before your 1.7's ?
    MG12's. I loved them. Had them in a huge room when I was living in Malawi and they sounded fantastic. Only parted with them because one of my local colleagues begged me to sel them to him them when I left the country.

Geoff

PS Probably about the same size as the 0.7s

MG12's. I loved them. Had them in a huge room when I was living in Malawi and they sounded fantastic. Only parted with them because one of my local colleagues begged me to sel them to him them when I left the country.

Geoff
    I believe the MG12's are a bit smaller than my MG1's and your current 1.7's so did you find the bass lacking at all ?
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast