+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

As I don't have a lot of books, or a bookcase, does anyone have any good sound insulation recommendations?
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

No books? I have books everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    No books? I have books everywhere!
    Does the Kindle count ? I don't have enough Kindles to put behind the Maggies
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    As I don't have a lot of books, or a bookcase, does anyone have any good sound insulation recommendations?
    As I suggested earlier, containment of sound is a major challenge typically requiring major building work (e.g. construction of false partition walls stuffed with acoustic wadding). Problem with sound is that like water, it will leak where possible. There is no cheap or simple way of stopping sound escaping from a room. If you don't have books, then LPs, cds, or anything else massy on shelving or in bookcases will help a little. A heavy fabric drape on the shared wall may help a little, especially if you have stuff on shelving behind it. You can google acoustic curtain but such fabric is expensive and needs to be supported properly.

Geoff

I'm Stephen.

See my acoustic panels in the for sale section. I can probably make more . . .
    Current kit :
    Music library (FLAC) on IMac or streamed via Qobuz. Fed wirelessly to Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione and into Lyngdorf digital amplification. This handles room correction and drives a pair of Quad 2905 electrostatics.

Thanks Stephen

I was thinking about making my own so I might steal your idea, sorry

I'll also take a look at acoustic curtains Geoff, thanks
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Thanks Stephen

I was thinking about making my own so I might steal your idea, sorry

I'll also take a look at acoustic curtains Geoff, thanks
    Making your panels is not difficult, though be careful in handling the Rockwool (best done outdoors). Acoustic curtains are crazily heavy and not inexpensive.

Difficult to get the Rockwell panels if you are not in the trade. If you buy two of the (recommended) 100mm thickness packs (8 separate panels) from Travis Perkins, you will get free delivery. https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Rock...ck%29/p/961938

Geoff

Thanks for all the replies about sound insulation/room treatment but it's all on hold while Colin is on crutches and cannot help me making up anything at the moment

I now also have some nice thick & heavy 90 degree brackets, the correct USA size screws/bolts to secure them to the Maggies, some new USA size grub screws for the jumpers, new fuses and Colin has a nice piece of wood for the plinths

Again it is all on hold while he is on crutches bless him...

So I still have the Maggies kind of 'leaning' against the rear wall which is not ideal at all... however they are just sounding amazing even with this rubbish placement... I've not been so impressed with any hifi item for a very long while.. they sound absolutely nothing like any speaker I've owned, even the 57's, and for what I paid I consider them a complete bargain

I am still amazed that these rather strange looking things can produce music at all let alone to the quality I am hearing..

My lovely neighbour is away for a few days so the Maggies are wicked up a bit...
    Bev

I'm Justin.

FWIW I really like 1.7s. For the money they are fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    FWIW I really like 1.7s. For the money they are fabulous.
    Exactly Justin... if, long term, I got on with my rather old Maggies I will be considering something newer from Magneplanar which will probably be the new 1.7i's
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast