+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M55e Jico SAS

I'm James.

Listening last night to the M55e and I thought something had happened to my hearing! It sounded awful, dull and flat so I wondered what had changed.
    Decided to check everything and found my Stylus Overhang was way out, so somehow the whole cartridge had slipped back in the headshell probably due to loose nuts! Reset all parameters again but very tricky getting the nuts to stay tight even with washers.
    [IMG]IMG_0003 by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Set up overhang with the excellent VPI Jig
    [IMG]IMG_0005 by , on Flickr[/IMG]

This got me bang on and the difference was astounding! I would suggest that this technical aspect of cartridge set up is more influential on the sound than any other by far.

The sound quality from this cartridge is now exceeding the 2M Black and indeed any other MM I have heard. The bass was fuller and more extended than the 2M by some margin. I put this down to the M55e engine and the Boron cantilever? Detail was excellent and not in your face as the 2M. Only one area was slightly lacking and this was a tiny bit of air which I can certainly live with. Tonal quality is by far the best aspect of the M55e /Jico SAS. Instruments are fully fleshed out as are vocals which take on a fabulous presence.

Marco you were right when I first tried this combination way back. The NOS M55e with its original stylus gives a great full musical easy to listen too sound. With the Jico SAS the combination is stunning with a level of performance I have yet to hear bettered in my system.

When the stylus does eventually wear out I may buy the new Ruby SAS to replace it as I believe this could raise the bar higher.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 20-01-2018 at 10:56.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

Well the 2M Black sounded excellent when I heard it last year , so the M55e must be very good indeed James
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Well the 2M Black sounded excellent when I heard it last year , so the M55e must be very good indeed James
    I had never set the M55e up properly on the VPI as it was intended for the Lenco GL75 which you heard Brian. It sounds like a very different cartridge on the VPI, much more full range, deeper and darker with fuller tonal qualities. As much as I like the 2M it does sound a bit thin and lean compare to the Shure / Jico combination.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Jico have put a notice out stating that they are inundated with orders for the neo SAS stylus and cannot receive orders at the moment.

Not surprised.

I'm Grant.

Not sure which one mine is

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Looks like the pre-neo one (the same as mine).
    When did you buy it?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

got it off someone here with low hrs.. just been reading the green booklet and it says it has a boron cantilever and diamond tip
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

It's a SAS and not a NEO SAS, as they are sapphire or ruby.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    It's a SAS and not a NEO SAS, as they are sapphire or ruby.
    ah, ok, thanks Kevin. sounds very good on my jbe anyway(using 1.1g). ive got another original one with nos stylus too which is great also although different.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Yes this is the same as mine - Boron cantilever and Micro ridge stylus. As I mentioned before, not sure if the Sapphire or Ruby sound better?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast