+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: M55e Jico SAS

I'm Kevin.

Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    You could change the sound of your cart by changing the bolts I suppose but I think the changes would be so small as not be to be heard. Personally I'd be more worried about using magnetic bolts near the cartridge.
    Agreed. You should never use plain steel cartridge fixings because, as you rightly point out, they are permeable and hence could affect the magnetic circuit within the cartridge. Only use aluminium, carbon fibre or stainless steel fixings (and for the latter it has to be the right grade; not all grades of stainless steel are non-magnetic).

I prefer to use aluminium fixings as I'm not a follower of the Linn school of thought which is to "tighten things up until the thread strips and then slacken off by a quarter turn". Also, I'm not adverse to using hard nylon washers under the screw/bolt heads (or nuts, if you invert the fixings).
    Barry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Agreed. You should never use plain steel cartridge fixings because, as you rightly point out, they are permeable and hence could affect the magnetic circuit within the cartridge. Only use aluminium, carbon fibre or stainless steel fixings (and for the latter it has to be the right grade; not all grades of stainless steel are non-magnetic).

I prefer to use aluminium fixings as I'm not a follower of the Linn school of thought which is to "tighten things up until the thread strips and then slacken off by a quarter turn". Also, I'm not adverse to using hard nylon washers under the screw/bolt heads (or nuts, if you invert the fixings).
    Thanks for the advice Barry, can you point me in the right direction for some of the aluminium fixings you mentioned? Ta
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Thanks Kevin.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Thanks for the advice Barry, can you point me in the right direction for some of the aluminium fixings you mentioned? Ta
    Most of those that I have used came with the cartridge. However they are readily obtainable from the likes of ebay, such as: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/12mm-Alumin....c100005.m1851

or similar (i.e. a shorter or longer length).
    Barry

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Sounding superb tonight. This combination on the VPI 9t tonearm sounds very good indeed. More fleshed out and analogue sounding than the 2M. 2M sounds a bit etched and edgy in comparison.

Lucky to get one of the last boron micro ridge cantilevered SAS stylus.

Attachment 22522Attachment 22523

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hi James glad you are enjoing the combo. Iv'e recently bought a neo sas for my Shure SC35C and am currently running it in. It's only done about 3hrs so far as iv'e been busy and on holiday but it sounds good so far. Although i think it still needs fleshing out a bit. How long did it take for yours to run in?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    Hi James glad you are enjoing the combo. Iv'e recently bought a neo sas for my Shure SC35C and am currently running it in. It's only done about 3hrs so far as iv'e been busy and on holiday but it sounds good so far. Although i think it still needs fleshing out a bit. How long did it take for yours to run in?
    I have used it for about 50 hours and it does seem to have changed a fair bit since I first used it. I would say it is indeed a fuller sound now, it was a bit lean when first installed.

I noticed on some jazz material trumpets and clarinets were a wee bit shrill but now they sound smoother and fleshed out with great tone. Plucked double bass and cellos sound more woody and fat.

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

I have used it for about 50 hours and it does seem to have changed a fair bit since I first used it. I would say it is indeed a fuller sound now, it was a bit lean when first installed.

I noticed on some jazz material trumpets and clarinets were a wee bit shrill but now they sound smoother and fleshed out with great tone. Plucked double bass and cellos sound more woody and fat.
    Yes this is what i'm noticing, so it's good to know that it will get a bit more meatier. I've added another couple another coupl of hours, so still a bit to go by the sounds of it.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567