+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Strong STRONG reccommendation for this HDMI cable...genuine Stepchange better.

I'm Gary.

How you getting on with it Phil?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Well they've had a scenic tour of Kentucky and Ohio already...fingers crossed indeed!

I went with the ebay option as I couldn't find the 6' ones Gaz posted in his original column elsewhere, except the monoprice US store, and they wanted $45 for shipping.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381465848809
    OK cables have eventually arrived and I've just tested them out...(look to be geniune)

Kit used;

Panasonic TX-55CX802 (TV), Sky Q Box, Panasonic BDUB900 (Ultra Blu-Ray)

Currently using the supplied HDMI cables, with the sky box set at 4k 10bit, and the blu-ray set at 4K(50/60p) 4:4:4...both working well

Now with the active monoprice in place;

Sky Q to TV; Occasionally it seems to grab half an image, then loses it, I left it for about 15mins, still the same situation

Blu-Ray to TV; Initially encouraging, shows the menu (unlike the cable depot one), however tried a couple of 4k discs, no image. I then set the blu-ray down to 4:2:0, and it works. One thing to note it did seem to pass the players 'test' when setting it to 4:4:4 (as in 'can you see this image y or n), however the disc doesn't even show a menu at that setting.

So a 'stepchange' worse for me...
    Last edited by WAD62; 24-02-2018 at 12:36.
    Cheers, Will

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Very weird, Will... As both cables, the Monoprice and the Cable Depot version, work extremely well [delivering truly superb picture quality], and faultlessly, here in all my 4K applications!

So I've no idea what's going on in your set-up

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Very weird, Will... As both cables, the Monoprice and the Cable Depot version, work extremely well [delivering truly superb picture quality], and faultlessly, here in all my 4K applications!

So I've no idea what's going on in your set-up

Marco.
    ...I'll try to watch 4k netflix via the UB90 at some point...

So I presume your sky Q is working at 10bit output with the cable?
    Cheers, Will

Yup, Sky Q is set at 10-bit 2160p resolution, with Dolby Digital Plus (on the HDMI output), and all with zero issues, mate

Same with 4K HDR Blu-rays, and all UHD output on Sky (movies and sport)...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Will.

Yup, Sky Q is set at 10-bit 2160p resolution with Dolby Digital Plus (on the HDMI output), and all with zero issues, mate

Same with 4K HDR Blu-rays, and all UHD output on Sky (movies and sport)...

Marco.
    Hi Marco,

I decided to get to the bottom of this, I initially restricted my tests to the sky Q box, as you have one working in 10bit 4K with this cable...

I set the Sky Q box down to 1080p, connected the monoprice, and then attempted to up the resolution to 10bit 4k, all I could get to was 8bit

So it had to be something about the Panasonic, I then turned off any 'Panasonic specific' features, Viera Link and Intelligent Frame Creation, and retried...bingo 10 bit 4K via the monoprice on my SkyQ box. I suspect 'Viera Link' was retaining some session parameters, or somesuch (perhaps an active cable issue?)... Worth noting for other panasonic users...they're both back on and all is well on the sky Q front!

Flushed with success on to the UB900 blu-ray, with the settings off I successfully configured the UB900 to 4:4:4, and tried netflix (which I'd not tried before), and it gives me 4k/60/HDR, another success.

However I still couldn't get it to play 'Blue Planet II', or 'Blade Runner 4029', at 4:4:4 only at 4:2:0, why?

Both the blu-rays are 4K HDR with a 24p capabilty, my TV is 24p capable, and the UB900 is set to auto 24p, this would appear to have pushed the cable over the edge...turning 24p off gave me playback at 4:4:4 4k/60/HDR.

So the supplied panasonic is back in, however the supplied sky one is not...not a bad result in the end, I'll keep the other for my laptop
    Last edited by WAD62; 26-02-2018 at 11:11.
    Cheers, Will

Interesting stuff, Will, and thanks for taking the time to investigate the issue and report back

Glad you got the Sky Q and Netflix aspect of things sorted. However, there must still be some other underlying (and as yet unresolved) issue with your Blu-ray player or TV, when trying to display the full content of 4K HDR discs, as the Monorprice cable in question is clearly capable of handling the signal, as evidenced in my own system.

Is your TV properly 4K HDR compatible, in the same way as your Blu-ray player?

I've found that in order to get HDR to work successfully, every item in the replay chain, from start to finish, must be properly HDR compatible, and therefore all components used should also be wired in such a way, in order to achieve that, so at no point in the chain there is a break in the HDR signal, otherwise it won't work.

One of the things I had to do, in order to resolve my recent issue (if you remember) with achieving full HDR replay, when playing 4K HDR Blu-rays, on my HDR compatible Sony player, was to take the signal from the player, via the (Monoprice) HDMI cable, directly to the TV (also HDR compatible), and route it through the system that way, instead of it being relayed via the BD/DVD input on my Sony home-cinema amp, which wasn't HDR compatible, and which was therefore strangling the HDR signal.

The improvement in picture quality that resulted in was significant, because as you know, genuine HDR is a different ball game altogether from HD! Anyway, I hope you can resolve the issue in your set up, as the Monoprice HDMI cable is superb and clearly capable of handling an HDR signal

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Will.

Interesting stuff, Will, and thanks for taking the time to investigate the issue and report back

Glad you got the Sky Q and Netflix aspect of things sorted. However, there must still be some other underlying (and as yet unresolved) issue with your Blu-ray player or TV, when trying to display the full content of 4K HDR discs, as the Monorprice cable in question is clearly capable of handling the signal, as evidenced in my own system.

Is your TV properly 4K HDR compatible, in the same way as your Blu-ray player?

I've found that in order to get HDR to work successfully, every item in the replay chain, from start to finish, must be properly HDR compatible, and therefore all components used should also be wired in such a way, in order to achieve that, so at no point in the chain there is a break in the HDR signal, otherwise it won't work.

One of the things I had to do, in order to resolve my recent issue (if you remember) with achieving full HDR replay, when playing 4K HDR Blu-rays, on my HDR compatible Sony player, was to take the signal from the player, via the (Monoprice) HDMI cable, directly to the TV (also HDR compatible), and route it through the system that way, instead of it being relayed via the BD/DVD input on my Sony home-cinema amp, which wasn't HDR compatible, and which was therefore strangling the HDR signal.

The improvement in picture quality that resulted in was significant, because as you know, genuine HDR is a different ball game altogether from HD! Anyway, I hope you can resolve the issue in your set up, as the Monoprice HDMI cable is superb and clearly capable of handling an HDR signal

Marco.
    As stated above both are HDR compatible...I've a feeling it's to do with the generated bandwidth between the UB900 and the TV, they're also both 12bit deep colour compatible, I'd suggest on blu-ray payback it maxing out the monoprice...

Again, the supplied cable, TV and blu-ray can support 4k/24fps/HDR 4:4:4 @ 12 bit deep colour...the monoprice can only play back with a compromise, albeit a small one...the supplied one looks excellent anyway

But looking excellent on the Sky box...

Out of interest do you have a 4k/24fps/HDR blu-ray to test on yours?

P.S. I started this thread about 4K HDR so am well aware of requirements, and benefits...

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...772#post942772
    Last edited by WAD62; 26-02-2018 at 12:28.
    Cheers, Will

Okies... So what exactly does "12bit deep colour compatible" mean?

And, in your opinion, does my TV and Blu-ray player (shown below) qualify or not...

TV: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/t.../xd8305-series

Blu-ray player: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/b...ayers/ubp-x800

Please examine the spec of both items and let me know

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

HDMI 1.4 supports 8bit RGB, 8bit 4:4:4 YCbCr, and 12bit 4:2:2 YCbCr, all at 24-30 FPS
    HDMI 2.0 supports RGB and 4:4:4 in all color depths (8bit-16bit) at 24-30 FPS
    HDMI 2.0 only supports 8bit RGB and 8bit 4:4:4 at 60 FPS
    All other color depths require Chroma Subsampling at 60 FPS in HDMI 2.0
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast