+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDMI cables - do they all perform the same?

I'm Steve.

Default HDMI cables - do they all perform the same?

Morning guys,

I've noticed that on certain TV programmes (especially The Walking Dead) a sort of picture "artefact", ie on darkish scenes there are what I can only describe as 'blocks' on moving images, and strange graduated lines which look like contour lines on a map!

I decided to bypass my A/v amp, which is an 8 year old Sony (I previously went from Sky Q 2TB to amp to 4K telly) and go straight from Sky to telly. This seems to have cured picture problem, although I'm now without surround sound. Oh well, it'll do till I can afford a new 4K A/v amp.

The old HDMI lead that went from Sky to amp was too short to reach telly, but I've found a longer one still in it's bag. Unbranded, a bit cheap looking, and just says "high speed HDMI cable" on the lead. It's working, but would I get better picture/sound if I spent more money on one? And If so, any recommendations?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Gary.

Worth upgrading your HDMI cable, had a lot in my system and seen obvious differences.
    This one is highly recommended, and not expensive if you want to take a punt.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/27Gbps-High...39&sr=8-3&th=1
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Neil.

Better hdmi cant improve digital broadcast artefacts ( blockiness is that) but it can let more detail shine through on good hd picture. I use audioquest pearl hdmi cables
    Regards Neil

I'm Steve.

"Blockiness" I think had something to do with the A/V amp, as it seems to have gone now that I'm going directly from Sky to TV.

Thanks for the recommendation Neil, but I saw some Audioquest cables on Amazon earlier, and prices ranged from to TV mostly gets used for her soaps, and I have no interest in seeing every last wrinkle on Dot Cotton's face, so Adrian's choice is a bit more in line with my requirements.

Is there a cable you can recommend which will completely ruin Corrie, 'Benders and Emmers? I would pay good money for that

Cheers guys

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Andre.

I thought they were all the same with a large degree of Bull shite marketing but ill admit i was wrong. I bought a Chord C View i can see the differences connecting Blue Ray machine.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/chord-c...SABEgL81fD_BwE
    Last edited by Made in 1968; 26-03-2020 at 14:08.

I'm Steve.

I've just looked up Audioquest Pearl cables, and the price is not bad at all! Unlike the ones I saw earlier which cost hundreds. I'll pick one or the other when I finally start earning wages again.

Again, thanks guys.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I thought they were all the same with a large degree of Bull shite marketing but ill admit i was wrong. I bought a Chord C View i can see the differences connecting Blue Ray machine.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/chord-c...SABEgL81fD_BwE
    Another worthy contender, but at 45 bones for a 1.5 metre run it's a little outside of my budget. I know I'm being a bit of a tightwad, but really the best cable in the world won't make EastEnders watchable

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Andre.

Na bought all my Chord C cables second hand. On plonkers pay new prices

I'm Steve.

Just realised I posted this in Analogue Arts instead of AV studio. Mods, feel free to give me a good spanking

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Mike.

Steve save your money i'll get you some from work, Kramer 4K HDMI, what length and how many?

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast