+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HD681’s – Headphone bargain of the century?

Default HD681’s – Headphone bargain of the century?

I have recently been reading, from various sources, the great enthusiasm expressed about these very affordable “giant killers” from Superlux and was hoping that some of our AOS member who have auditioned these headphones might give us their own views?

From recent posts I believe Covenant, Gazjam and Hamish have tried them “as is’ and may have had mods carried out also with good success?

The Superlux site provide three model variations, with comments as follows:

HD681 – with Deep low frequency
    For an “On stage’ sound = classical music & large ensembles (jazz?)

HD681F – with Flat extended frequency response.
    For a “Front row” sound image = pop music and vocals

HD681B – with Balanced character and powerful bass punch
    For an “In hall” feel = rock music / exciting performances

These three sonic signatures appear to cover 95% + of all bases for most of us!

To date most web comments appear to be based on the HD681 model only.
    Can anybody please inform me where one may be able to obtain the other models - HD681F & HD681B?
    What would be particularly appealing would be a deal to buy all three models together (for the different sonic signatures) at an even better rate – wishful thinking!

Regarding the mods that have been carried out to HD681’s, (for both Covenant and Hamish I think?), I wonder if such mods were done to “effectively change the signature sound of the base HD681’s” to that of one of the other model variations above (HD681F for a more pop music/vocal signature, or HD681B for a more rock music signature)?

Any feedback would be much appreciated,
    Granville

I'm Jerry.

Guilty as charged.
    My experience YMMV-The standard 681's were a big disappointment to me. The treble was excessive and masked the bass, sibilance irritated me all the time. A week or two of use improved things a little but I had resigned myself to the fact that they were a budget offering and not up to the rest of my system.
    Then I was advised to have a look at the mod thread on Rock Grotto. You can read it for yourself but sufficient to say that the filter significantly reduced the excessive treble and has allowed the bass full reign. I have replaced the leatherette pads with velour ones and these are much more comfortable.
    I still experience a little sibilance but a change of op-amp in my Standac may help. Giant killers? I dont know as I haven't really listened to Giants but with the mods they are certainly value for money.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Thanks Jerry
    Granville

I'm Dave.

I had a listen to Dave Clarke's fully modded 681's last Thursday and I thought they sounded pretty good. The separation between instruments etc was very good, with extended and controlled bass and very detailed top end. I could imagine that some music may bring out some sibilance but I didn't hear any in the admittedly very quick audition I had. Overall they made my iGrado's sound quite flat and lifeless. I think Dave said that with all the mods taken into account they cost him about £60 which is about twice what my iGrado's cost, so they should sound a bit better really.

So I'd say they're worth a try. I'd certainly be interested in trying the other models for comparison.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

Thanks Dave.
    Sounds like a lot of mods required, as it increased the base price by a factor of about three!
    Granville

I'm David.

My mods cost me about £10...
    I'm gonna have a bit more of a listen with the caiman, and comment a bit ferther when I can find my 6.3mm adapter... Listening I did when I first got the filter certainly seemed very positive with the caiman but since then I have mostly used them with the iPhone and although still evident is less pronounced
    even that little bit of listening still would give me enough to say they are worth while for the money, and if you don't go down the asthetics and comfort upgrade route you don't need to spend as much as an extra £40 to get a quite aparent upgrade in sound!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

That sounds appealing Hamish.
    I shall probably give it a go.
    Thanks Granville

I'm Dave.

I've just heard from Dave Clarke that the biggest expense for him was getting new AKG 701 ear pads fitted, that accounted for over half the cost. Other than that he fitted new cables and had some kind of filters fitted to improve the sound.

So the price of the upgrades can be kept quite low.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm David.

it shouldnt be forgotten that they are pretty good out the box anyway....
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    it shouldnt be forgotten that they are pretty good out the box anyway....
    Good point.
    On the subject of that, does anyone know where the other models in the 681 range can be purchased as I'd be interested in trying them out?

I had a quick Google search but only the standard 681's seem to be stocked.

Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast