+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fancy a guess at my next project?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Not sure you'll need *all* the extras suggested - my BMU is totally benign on switch-on and no 'boooiiinnnggg' at all (mine has an earlier transformer and hums on and off at different times of day, which the later production doesn't do I discovered), but I'd suggest that if the case is a metal one, the safety features as Airlink do on their own complete units would be a good idea.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    NTC?
    I needed one on mine as it tripped the CU every time, but mine is 3kva. You may well be fine without one. Try it first and see.

An NTC is a thermistor which limits current inrush when you turn the thing on, so stops it tripping the CU breaker. You will probably be fine without one though, given it's 750va.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Fitting a DC Blocker to mine, its in the next room from my listeneing area, but cant help that buzzing has to be putting some crap on the line somewhere...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I needed one on mine as it tripped the CU every time, but mine is 3kva. You may well be fine without one. Try it first and see.

An NTC is a thermistor which limits current inrush when you turn the thing on, so stops it tripping the CU breaker. You will probably be fine without one though, given it's 750va.
    Ah I see. I'll have a chat with Alan and see what he thinks. Anything that improves it chances of fault free usage will be beneficial

I'm Sandro.

NTC thermistor is way to go but if you want fault free you also need a timer and relay to take it out of the circuit NTC go really really hot
    and if you got space certainly a DC blocker ( I have bridge diode and big low voltage ELT capacitors) can help getting buzzzzzzzz of transformer.

Any one got a look at the crap the gas/electricity smart meter put on your mains ?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    NTC thermistor is way to go but if you want fault free you also need a timer and relay to take it out of the circuit NTC go really really hot
    and if you got space certainly a DC blocker ( I have bridge diode and big low voltage ELT capacitors) can help getting buzzzzzzzz of transformer.

Any one got a look at the crap the gas/electricity smart meter put on your mains ?
    Cheers mate,.

I have a DC blocker that can go in there already. Would it need one though? That is a question I don't know the answer to

I'm Sandro.

DSCF2231.jpgDSCF2232.jpgDSCF2233.jpgDSCF2230.jpg
    If transformers Buzzzzzzzzz you need one If they don't U don't need one If you don't need one it does not hurt
    One wonder how much crap smart meters for gas and elect throw in the mains ? then one my need a filter...
    My big hammer approach (
    Litlle trafo and psu to power up big trafo and after delay switch on the relay that close the circuit on the 2 NTC in series note glass ceramic beads on NTC vires
    Most probably it could have been done whit just a couple of transistors if one had a clue on what it was doing, but hey it has been working for 10 years whit not a single problem so...
    Still I would really like to know same one that can teach me a bit more about electronics
    view of the F5 PSU 25 Watt mono-blocks not in picture
    view of DC suppression The 25 A bridge diodes are on the back of ELT PCB and sneaky peak at a Shafner filter

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Have a DC blocker fitted to mine also, sourced a big 30A NTC from Airlink. Worked fine for the last five years or so.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

It going to back a Balanced Mains Unit. Made into an old BT distribution block. Nothing fancy, just working and doing a good job hopefully!
    Really?
    What's this BT distribution block you're on about?

In an unexpected move, I found a whooshing noise on my rig and put it down to some sort of electrical problem somewhere but by chance yesterday, I remover the powerline adapter for the Internet and the background whoosh disappeared. Further experiments today have shown that the more things I turned off around the house, the better my noise floor has got SO looks like a BMU may be ideal.
    As you've found out, the crap that powerline adapters kick out onto the mains can cause audible artifacts.
    Which is why I bang on about running proper ethernet cable.
    Would it fall on deaf ears if I suggest running ethernet cable as well as building your BMU?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Really?
    What's this BT distribution block you're on about?

As you've found out, the crap that powerline adapters kick out onto the mains can cause audible artifacts.
    Which is why I bang on about running proper ethernet cable.
    Would it fall on deaf ears if I suggest running ethernet cable as well as building your BMU?
    It will NOT fall on deaf ears mate and is something I am looking into but routing a cable to the necessary Destination is a veritable nightmare!

I'll try and find a pic of the BT Distribution box. It's perfect for its new job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast