+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fancy a guess at my next project?

Bigman80 Guest

It's similar to this

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It's similar to this
    The standard unit isn't suitable for audio. Too noisy!!!!!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Thank goodness for that!
    That case is from an overvoltage protection unit.
    They used to fit them on PBX equipment to protect it from power spikes on the mains, because quite a lot of their PBX gear had a propensity to turn its toes up permanently if it was hit by a power spike.

Some folk use them as supplied as power conditioners.
    That's not what they were designed to do.

The case will be fine, as long as you follow safety regs, and I'm sure Alan will give you correct advise on that front.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Thank goodness for that!
    That case is from an overvoltage protection unit.
    They used to fit them on PBX equipment to protect it from power spikes on the mains, because quite a lot of their PBX gear had a propensity to turn its toes up permanently if it was hit by a power spike.

Some folk use them as supplied as power conditioners.
    That's not what they were designed to do.

The case will be fine, as long as you follow safety regs, and I'm sure Alan will give you correct advise on that front.
    Yep, that's exactly what I read about those units. It will be 100% up to regs as there are two little fellas in our house (3&5) that'll mess with everything and I'll be taking no chances with their safety.

RothwellAudio Guest

In an unexpected move, I found a whooshing noise on my rig and put it down to some sort of electrical problem somewhere but by chance yesterday, I remover the powerline adapter for the Internet and the background whoosh disappeared. Further experiments today have shown that the more things I turned off around the house, the better my noise floor has got SO looks like a BMU may be ideal.
    Sorry for being a numpty, but what's a powerline adaptor?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Sorry for being a numpty, but what's a powerline adaptor?
    It transfers your internet signal around your house using the mains wiring. It's so you have a wired connection everywhere. Very clever but dirties the mains badly IME

I'm Simon.

Best soft start I've seen is from sonny at mirand. Not cheap but it does the biz and is super flexible. Don't touch the Chinese crap, recycled parts, dodgy specs. Not worth the risk IMO.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Best soft start I've seen is from sonny at mirand. Not cheap but it does the biz and is super flexible. Don't touch the Chinese crap, recycled parts, dodgy specs. Not worth the risk IMO.
    Thanks. I will look into it.

I'm Alex.

Yep, that's exactly what I read about those units. It will be 100% up to regs as there are two little fellas in our house (3&5) that'll mess with everything and I'll be taking no chances with their safety.
    I take it that you are having the Primary 230v and the Secondary wired 115v - 0, 115 - 0 with the Red and Orange wires connected together and connected to earth which will give you balanced 230v.

For safety you really need a double pole 30ma RCCB on the output otherwise if a fuse blows on the "Live" side you will still have 115v from "Neutral" to earth. I would recommend a Hagar 263U which is a 63A capacity but will trip both poles in a fault situation.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blueflash View Post
    I take it that you are having the Primary 230v and the Secondary wired 115v - 0, 115 - 0 with the Red and Orange wires connected together and connected to earth which will give you balanced 230v.

For safety you really need a double pole 30ma RCCB on the output otherwise if a fuse blows on the "Live" side you will still have 115v from "Neutral" to earth. I would recommend a Hagar 263U which is a 63A capacity but will trip both poles in a fault situation.
    Cheers Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast