+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WTD 12v linear PSU

I'm Alan.

One of the pots is for the current limit setting, the other is for the output voltage setting.

Connect a meter to the output and turn one of the pots, if the voltage varies that is the correct one. If the voltage doesn't vary then set the pot as it was originally then adjust the other for voltage adjustment.

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks for that Alan, is it worth trying to tweak the current limit down a little as I am reducing the output voltage or is it best left alone?

Btw the new dac pre seems to have a very fine digital volume, I think it may be using the sabre dac's built in 256 step "bit perfect" volume control. As a result I get to fine tune my low listening level with no channel imbalance so the problem has been sorted

I'm Alan.

Just leave the other pot as is.

Great to hear your low level imbalance has been sorted

I'm Lawrence.

Got the second one today, they had run out of the 2A version and gave me a 3A one. It has a larger transformer and a big heatsink on the back with a big voltage regulator or something attached. As a result it weighs a lot more. Is this likely to be better? The problem is it buzzes very loudly, the first one is quiet. Pressing on the case makes it quite a bit quieter but not entirely. Is this easy to remedy or is it a lot of hassle, in which case I should return it. There's no chance of an exchange as they're all out across the country now.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

They are made to a price and most I have come across have some buzz from the transformer, which also resonates through the case.

You can try damping the case, wedge some solid rubber between the transformer and top.

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks might try that, I've also got dynamat, just worried about returning it.

I'm Lawrence.

I took the lid off again and switched on, no buzzing at all which was a good sign. Stuck dynamat all over it and screwed back on and the buzz is now very quiet so good result. I have to say the positive impact on bass tightness and level, smoothness/lack of grain in the treble, detail and soundstage is very noticeable, these chunky cheap PSUs are a total bargain.

I'm Lee.

Good result. Out of interest what is the DAC?
    Cheers Lee

I'm Lawrence.

Northern fidelity/Lead audio 32/394 dac. Got a good review in Hifiworld a few years ago. Have been struggling with finding a modern dac the last couple of years, finally settled on 2 I like.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123