+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is modern pop so terrible?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    It seems to me that the pop of years ago left a legacy of some sort, even if it was The Birdie Song
    The Birdie Song was rubbish, but it at least had a catchy earworm of a tune.
    That drivel you mentioned earlier by Ramz, calling it a number two is appropriate. If all music was this good I'd completely give up on listening to music
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Don't know if this has been posted but while many of the themes will be familiar, it's interesting to see it all presented in one place:

"And over there, there's broken bones
    There's only new music, so that there's new ringtones"

(c) Arctic Monkeys

:-)

I'm Geoff.

This thread reminds me of so many conversations that adults had with me when I was a kid. I remember thinking, "Old farts, what do they know?"

There is great stuff out there, just as there was, and just as there will be.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Geoff.

I remember my dad having a go at my older brother for listening to Fats Domino, Little Richard and Elvis. Saying "why do you listen to that dreadful rubbish" and then insisting that we listen to some Haydn.

That was an awfully long time ago. I was about eight years old.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I remember my dad having a go at my older brother for listening to Fats Domino, Little Richard and Elvis. Saying "why do you listen to that dreadful rubbish" and then insisting that we listen to some Haydn.

That was an awfully long time ago. I was about eight years old.
    And I'm a generation after you and my father loved Fats Domino and Little Richard but would complain about the 'modern rubbish' me and my brothers listened to. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    This thread reminds me of so many conversations that adults had with me when I was a kid. I remember thinking, "Old farts, what do they know?"

There is great stuff out there, just as there was, and just as there will be.
    Have never argued otherwise. Only that the stuff in the charts is measurably less varied, less sophisticated, and more simplistic in lyrics, tunes, structure and harmonic richness, as well as being demonstrably badly produced (the noise wars). The clip looks at this and the (largely commercial) reasons why this, sadly, is so.

I'm Paul.

I think that nowadays non convention is much more readily accepted but also, sadly, what non convention is has been conventionalised into a rather bland conformist package. I do wonder that a lot of music that is genuinely new now just sounds awful to us but in years to come will be recognised as ground breaking, but sadly the artists will be long gone by that time and will remain largely unrecognised during their time.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

I think its probably a more complex issue about ageing and we fall into the dad trap that we never thought possible. There has always been music we like and dont like around.

Our brains develop in a certain way and they even slow down.... shock horror. We get set in certain ways as the neuron paths form.

I cant listen to some music I had as a youngster. I think I generally got it right but Ive had some shockers in my collection from Showaddywaddy through Dire Straits

It took me 25 years to really get The Fall and get fully into Bob Dylan. I didnt come on to Leonard Cohen until late in his musical life. It took me 40 years to really like classical and opera

I think we get confused about nostalgia and pop music. I couldnt listen to Abba now (lord Ive tried ) and I would take most of the Nicki Minaj rubbish over listening to thankyou for the music or Phil Collins. I mention Abba to stir it up because they are not as good as some people think

Sure Katy Perry and that twerking berk Cyrus get on my nerves but is it really any worse than the pop crap of yesteryear? Yes it seems more manufactured but that was always the nature of the pop machine. Maybe we dont like that the business seems more in our faces or we just see through it a bit more now. I have heard some toe tappers...not alf pop pickers but struggle to admit it.

Pop music is less innocent now which is probably a good thing in many ways

I love classical and opera now. I love Mark Hollis and just hearing the experimental brilliance of the later albums.

Basically it all boils down to our grandparents telling us they could hear and understand the words in "their day" I think we all get there in some way even though I like to think I have a John Peel enthusiasm for good new music.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 04-03-2018 at 18:19.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Interesting view Martin, but I think that logic is as personal as our individual tastes - as we all have different experiences.

I loved Cohen and Dylan pretty much from the start, buying Songs of LC not too many years after release, when I first heard it. My first Dylan album was Desire and I've been a fan ever since, but I really, really got him about 10 years ago and he's one of my most played now. Bought Holst Planets Suite as a teenager on Music for Pleasure (yup I'm that old) so was on the classical train from early on too, as well as ELP, Floyd, Genesis, Zeppelin, Yes and Sabbath. Which were the mainstays of my early obsession passion with music, especially ELP.

I keep growing in all directions now, never thought I'd enjoy Country (that's a whole other subject, as Country isn't what I thought it was when I didn't like it!), but I do.

No idea where it comes from, my parents weren't musical, but we did have music on in the house from a Dansette (Swingin' Safari and the Black Watch), my brother possibly, as he was a Bowie and Tyrannosaurus Rex fan and me and my cousin (who now plays in a band) used to swap mix tapes in our teens.

I've never really enjoyed pop or mainstream ever, but I don't mind Abba.

So for me, pop music has always been pretty dire, modern is no exception apart from some bands who can cross over from being serious musicians and have pop appeal too. I think I get most of it from John Peel, Tommy Vance and Bob Harris - who I followed religiously from listening to a little radio in bed, when I should have been sleeping! I still listen to Bob Harris every week on his Thursday night Country Show.

So it is, as you say, a lot more complex
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Grant.

i kinda liked my musicians to be at least able to either sing in some decent way, preferably on key, be able to play their instruments properly and hopefully be able to write and arrange, but for many that is pie in the sky alas.
    Abba; yes at least they can sing, and at least pick songs that are catchy(not sure who wrote em). Cohen had it all, although many will discount the first. not me.
    Dylan, I got fro the start being a lover of that style with pete seager and Woodie Guthrie etc and of course being a old time blues fan too. Funnily enough im not so interested in dylan now; in fact most of his stuff now seems a bit "pat"
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast