+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Why is modern pop so terrible?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you've got all the Steely Dan, Led Zep and Hendrix you can pretty much do without the rest.

Can't fault you on wearing your 'old gits' badge with such pride!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I find the likes of Deezer or any of the others invaluable for exposing yourself to new stuff. It's like your personal old grey whistle test and your bob Harris. Lol
    Ha - indeed, but Martin's not for streaming either. Don't worry, we'll drag him kicking and screaming into the 21st century somehow!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Well, being into music for the sake of it is a young man's game IMO. By the time your 40 you've seen it / heard it all before. Done better, usually. I still buy records but it is almost always old stuff I never got round to buying when it was new. Or more recently, to replace what already I have on vinyl with the CD.

Any genuine exploration I do now is pretty much limited to Jazz. And I'm already too old to have time to even scratch the surface there
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Ive never really liked the term popular music as its a lazy catch all term invented a long time ago. There is plenty of good new indie music about from people with real imagination. I use the term indie to somehow define it away from pop but its all popular music in that sense.

I also think we have to discuss that what sells the most is not the definition of good taste. Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the taste/intelligence of.......... or how that quote goes. Plenty of number one records have been absolute crap

I think we probably have to define who the main culprits are and whether they are linked to the Fuller/ Cowell production machine I hate so much. The music companies do seem to be churning the crap out faster than ever before or may be thats just my perception.

The industry produce what sells so I cant really call them dark and sinister profiteers. We are all out to make some sort of living in this world. Maybe I feel that people are being told what to like on BGT so they buy it.

Madonna and Britney seem laughably innocent compared to this new lot but there has been a lot of so called popular music in the past that I considered to be shallow rubbish.

A lot of it sells to very young people and to be blunt I dont consider their musical brains fully formed. I hope they grow out of it

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    there has been a lot of so called popular music in teh past that I considered shallow rubbish
    Ah, yes. That would be Mozart and others like him. The 'pop music' of the day.

Thumbs up Nantwich Jazz/Blues Music Festival

For anyone living in the North Wales/Cheshire/Shropshire area, get ye along here to enjoy some good choons :https://nantwichjazz.com/

Should be great!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

I thought again and I really am coming over as snobby and elitist. We really can over analyse these things but with all music you either like it or you dont.

Lets leave it that Im at an age when I can ask the youngsters to turn that racket down

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I thought again and I really am coming over as snobby and elitist. We really can over analyse these things but with all music you either like it or you dont.

Lets leave it that Im at an age when I can ask the youngsters to turn that racket down
    Sometimes the youngsters ask me to turn my bloody racket down
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Sometimes the youngsters ask me to turn my bloody racket down
    They're probably tired of listening to the same Bay City Rollers album over and over.

I'm joe.

It all went pear-shaped around the time the Smiths split up. They were the last quality singles group.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast