+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is modern pop so terrible?

montesquieu Guest

Default Why is modern pop so terrible?

Don't know if this has been posted but while many of the themes will be familiar, it's interesting to see it all presented in one place:

I'm Geoff.

Modern pop is dire because in the words of Frank Zappa, it's 'Strictly Commercial'. So called 'artists' chosen for their looks and having no proper singing ability, let alone being capable of playing instruments or writing music. It's aimed at twelve year olds and dummies with no discernment.

I'm Dan.

Couldn't agree more Geoff. With modern technology any no talent can be made into a star as long as they look good. Auto-tune and digital processing can make any piece of crap sound good. Unfortunately you will hear the argument that we're just getting old and ever generation has its bad pop music. However, compare Justin Beiber to Bill Haley, or Buddy Holley and the argument doesn't hold up. I'm not calling Holley or Haley bad, but our parents probably did.
    One other reason is also tech related. Back in the 50's and 60's you had radio (which is local) and you had touring. Those musicians had to do concert after concert to get heard. Today it's YouTube and shitty TV shows like American Idol or the Voice.
    And one other thing. I'm ashamed that Justin Beiber is Canadian. He's an embarrassment to a lively and talented music scene.

I'm Shane.

The people that have true talent, are the plain/average looking ones.

It's all about looks!

S.
    Last edited by southall-1998; 15-01-2018 at 23:45.

montesquieu Guest

Nice to see some engagement with the link I posted

I'm Svend.

This has been around for a long time. I still recall the outcry in the 80s around Milli Vanilli lip-syncing all their songs.

And speaking of Auto-Tune, one very popular singer (also Canadian) that I simply cannot bear to hear is Drake. It sounds like his voice is entirely computer-generated. To be fair to him, he may actually have talent, but I'd have to hear him live and acoustic (no mic) to believe it.

I'm Svend.

Tom, I did in fact watch the entire video. Excellent, and very thought-provoking. It basically confirmed many of the things I'd been aware of for some time, but had never really pulled together as this presenter did. Well done. Should be required watching for all younger people.

As an aside, I have found myself listening more and more to so-called "classic rock", rather than new music. Perhaps this has been an unconscious repulsion from the new "canned" sound, and an attraction to the more authentic creativity and talent of the previous era.

Very interesting topic. Thanks for posting.

Svend

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The conclusion has to be that Max Martin needs to be executed, or at least abducted and be kept isolated and incarcerated for the rest of his natural life.
    Same with Lucasz Gottwald.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Neil.

Default Why is modern pop so terrible?

Modern pop is designed to be snackable and offer short-term thrills. Shelf life has no relevance, it’s just about pushing the next hit.

However there is still some great pop out there if you look around.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Shaun.

I suspect that modern pop music is so bad because there is a massive lack of music skill involved in producing it. There is not a grain of complexity to any of it compared to a few decades ago because that aspect of music has been removed by the likes of X Factor that almost entirely feeds on what these people look like with all of their voices fitting the new stereotype. I tend to think that as with almost everything modern the whole concept is about making very easy money in the shortest possible time frame started by Stock, Aitken and Waterman or even Nicky Chin and Mike Chapman back in the seventies. As to why young people today no longer give a shit for music, I haven't got a clue but as with all history,
    no doubt it will simply reinvent itself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast