+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is modern pop so terrible?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    What do you mean, a still in your shed, or a farm in your attic?
    No. I mean that at times in my life, working in dangerous places or in difficult circumstances, that an extra beer at the end of the day or an extra glass of wine, did nothing for my productivity or effectiveness.

As a consumer I doubt if much of the music I like benefitted from drug induced "creativity". I find most "psychedelic" music boring and repetitive. Frankly, I think that a lot of prog rock requires some drug induced state to make it tolerable!

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Something of a redundancy there. All the consequences of Brexit are unforeseen.

Although I would be happy to see the return of the party seven on purely nostalgic grounds, I'd be unlikely to buy one. I should get a new copy of Solid Air though. Got it on tape but no tape deck anymore. Must be 25 years since I heard it last.
    All, I think not! The fact that it would antagonise the rest of Europe and would not heal the rift in the Tory Party.

Solid Air is perhaps JM's greatest work. Well worth a new copy!

Geoff

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    No. I mean that at times in my life, working in dangerous places or in difficult circumstances, that an extra beer at the end of the day or an extra glass of wine, did nothing for my productivity or effectiveness.

As a consumer I doubt if much of the music I like benefitted from drug induced "creativity". I find most "psychedelic" music boring and repetitive. Frankly, I think that a lot of prog rock requires some drug induced state to make it tolerable!

Geoff
    I doubt that any drug induced "creativity" would be of any value, and certainly not with the drugs commonly used these days (thinking about cocaine, or the so-called "legal highs". Rather the psychedelic drugs which became popular in the sixties, and even then, not during the trip. I imagine that anyone trying that would wake up the next day, look at the nonsense that seemed so good at the time, and hang their head in shame! Similar to someone driving a high performance car, then writing a review of the drive. They certainly wouldn't write the review WHILE driving, that would result would be at best unintelligible, and at worst fiery vehicular death!

Rather, their drug experiences changed their perception of things around them and the memory of this experience informed their creativity to some extent. Not everyone is going to like the psychedelic offerings of say, Hendrix or later Beatles, (I for one, love it) but in any case, I doubt much of it was produced WHILE they were out of it.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I doubt that any drug induced "creativity" would be of any value, and certainly not with the drugs commonly used these days (thinking about cocaine, or the so-called "legal highs". Rather the psychedelic drugs which became popular in the sixties, and even then, not during the trip. I imagine that anyone trying that would wake up the next day, look at the nonsense that seemed so good at the time, and hang their head in shame! Similar to someone driving a high performance car, then writing a review of the drive. They certainly wouldn't write the review WHILE driving, that would result would be at best unintelligible, and at worst fiery vehicular death!

Rather, their drug experiences changed their perception of things around them and the memory of this experience informed their creativity to some extent. Not everyone is going to like the psychedelic offerings of say, Hendrix or later Beatles, (I for one, love it) but in any case, I doubt much of it was produced WHILE they were out of it.
    Beatles smoked hash in the studio while recording. Hendrix played at least a few gigs whilst on LSD. The Eagles wrote and recorded Hotel California and The Long Run whilst blitzed on coke. Steely Dan liked a smoke, Walter Becker became a heroin addict. The Doobie Brothers - clue's in the name, folks!

I'd have to argue that all of the best artists were either drunk or on drugs - or both- most of the time. When they get rich and older they clean up their acts. And then their music immediately becomes bland and prosaic.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Cant imagine Frank Sinatra or Dino Martin taking drink or drugs
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I think that a lot of prog rock requires some drug induced state to make it tolerable!

Geoff
    Not "tolerable", but used for its intended purpose. Which was to boost the 'high', which is what much psychedelic rock and heavy rock etc. was written and recorded for.

I'm Steve.

Played Pink Floyd's "Echoes" form their Meddle album on vinyl this morning, having my body hopped-up on two slices of toast with blackcurrant jam and a nice cup of tea Still good!

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

To the original question, have a listen to Barking by Ramz which reached no.2 in the charts earlier this year. Inane rhyming doesn't get close to describing it, apparently written and recorded in 24 hours although 24 minutes seems more likely...

When I were a lad a no.2 single often became cemented in music history, for example we all know Vienna. Not any more.

Pete

I'm Pavel.

There is some good quality pop music today. I’m more of a jazz and classic rock person but my wife (who worked as a radio DJ in the past) has been really educating me in terms of new music. I’m really enjoying such artists as St. Vincent, Bat for Lashes, Florence & The Machine, Colleen, Bon Iver and Benjamin Clementine to name a few (not sure they all can be properly classified as pop, but it’s all pop to me )

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I'd agree with some of those as being strong artists. Pleading guilty to categorisation I'd see them as indie, but I get exactly what you mean. When folks refer to pop I think of predominantly non-album artist material in the Top 40. It seems to me that the pop of years ago left a legacy of some sort, even if it was The Birdie Song.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast