+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starter Valve power-amp advice please

I'm Richard.

Default Starter Valve power-amp advice please

I'm happy with my main system : Cambridge CXC - Beresford DAC -Schiit Saga preamp- Quad 306 or 99 amp- Living Voice speakers...

...but am interested in a valve amp to replace the (excellent) Quad. I don't need an integrated amp - just power! I looked at the Croft7 but the main output is SS. I'm handy with a soldering iron so have also been looking at DIY kits, but most of these are imported and thus have phenomenal P&P charges. I'm only about dipping my toe in the water so don't want anything too exotic/expensive - something that gives me the best bang for my buck. Any advice?

Thanks.

R

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    I'm happy with my main system : Cambridge CXC - Beresford DAC -Schiit Saga preamp- Quad 306 or 99 amp- Living Voice speakers...

...but am interested in a valve amp to replace the (excellent) Quad. I don't need an integrated amp - just power! I looked at the Croft7 but the main output is SS. I'm handy with a soldering iron so have also been looking at DIY kits, but most of these are imported and thus have phenomenal P&P charges. I'm only about dipping my toe in the water so don't want anything too exotic/expensive - something that gives me the best bang for my buck. Any advice?

Thanks.

R
    You should check out the one Wee tee cee is selling in the Classifieds. Ticks your boxes and can be bought separately from the pre amp.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Shane.

If you want a really well designed kit produced in the UK with really good quality components, with all the backup and support you could ever need, try the WD KEL84. Not sure what your budget is, but for the quality you get it’s excellent value and sounds wonderful.

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/power%20amps.htm
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Nigel.

I agree with Shane, the WAD KEL84 is a cracking amp and as Oliver pointed out it is what Tony is selling for £350

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...L84-Power-Amp/

Nigel

I'm Richard.

Thanks everyone; interesting! events rather foreshadowed by buying a new car but no doubt it's a topic I shall return to later...(like a tongue exploring a chipped tooth - if you know what I mean!)

R

+ Reply to Thread