+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Remote prices - WHAT!

I'm Phil.

remind me to avoid any company that charges 400 quid for a remote, thats obscene
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

What £400 for a remote! I know there is equipment that the oil sheiks buy but £400 for that remote is a rip off. I was expecting to see a machined billet with gold etching.

Its a market where many manufacturers know they have you by the short and curlies but that is ridiculous.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    'Usually dispatched within 72 hours' - that's because they go on a 2 day bender with your £400 first.
    🤣

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Mark.

I had a BDA-2, I just used a Logitech Harmony 250 which was £28. You can control all of the functions and the on/off. You can assign the buttons where you want as well. It took about 10 minutes from getting the remote out of the packaging to having it working.

You can do the same for BDA-1, BDA-2 and BDA-3, they are all listed when you do the setup.

As others mention, you can have the remote control other gear too if you want to as that's what they are really designed for.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    What £400 for a remote! I know there is equipment that the oil sheiks buy but £400 for that remote is a rip off. I was expecting to see a machined billet with gold etching.

Its a market where many manufacturers know they have you by the short and curlies but that is ridiculous.
    i don't think they have anyone by the short and curlies, it's your money and you make your own choice on who you give it to. Had the op bought new, I would have expected him to know if it had remote control and whether it came with one. Personally I wouldn't pay 2.4k for a Dac but if I lost the plot and was considering it I would change my mind when I found out the remote wasn't included.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Manny.

I had to read this twice. It's not even gold plated! Ditto what Rob says, try and get the codes.

I'm Andrew.

I bet there are folk on here who have paid more for a piece of wire.

I'm Andrew.

I bet there are folk on here who have paid more for a piece of wire.

I'm Gary.

No doubt, and why not

£400 remotes a joke (to me), but hey..its a buyers market, will be worth it to someone.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Mike.

What you need to do is work out how many times you walk too the amp to adjust volume/inputs etc. Calculate the average wear per trip to the HiFi, or if unknown work out how many pairs slippers per year, I'm thinking they're probably replaced about the end of December each year.

Multiply that by 20 ( years of warranty on remote ). This should give you total cost per year of walking to the HiFi. If it's less than £400 just walk to the HiFi each time, if it's more then......

That should tell you if the £400 is worth it or not. However there is a big issue in this calculation, what if you don't live 20 years

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast