+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The 6SL7GT valve & It's variants - MY ADVENTURES!

I'm AnDreW.

Sure pics when I have a little time. I 'm playing with a new valve MM stage at the mo!
    SS CD Teac VRDS25X(Mega Modded) DAC Caiman SEG+Anker PSU DECK 1210 Mat Analog Studio Crystal Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony arm Board Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/Jaeger(low-impedance) connector/3 StageRegs/Recapped PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

Valve PRECroft Epoch(Mega Modded) AMP Sondex S100 SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Reference XO DECK Garrard301 MatTeunto GunMetal Bearing SPH Plinth Moldovan Arm SME 3012(Ikeda Ag wired) PSU NSC MCAg Meister SPU/DECCA Maroon CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ Speaker3mm2Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostage Paradise

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cool beans, keep us posted

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm AnDreW.

Pt VIII Melzdown

I intended reviewing the Melz 6H9C

MELZ.jpg

So, I get them installed only to find that one is completely knackered, supposed to be matched pair testing strong, hollocks! Never mind they cost about 30 so not a massive loss but still annoying. I did managed to snag a pair of General Electric 6SL7GT and here is a picture of the very valves. These are coming from the US of A.
    GENERAL ELECTRIC.jpg
    I also managed to snag another Brimar NOS 6SL7GT. I now have a pair of these and shall be testing them soon!

DSCN3525.jpg

Finally, I have tracked down the valve controlling line in to the RCA's from the phonostage which means that I can also start experimenting with valves here. I have been using a Reflektor 6H9C and whilst it's a great valve I feel that more could be had from the Croft. So, I''l be plonking in some bits and pieces in here to see what happens.

Stay tuned.

A
    SS CD Teac VRDS25X(Mega Modded) DAC Caiman SEG+Anker PSU DECK 1210 Mat Analog Studio Crystal Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony arm Board Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/Jaeger(low-impedance) connector/3 StageRegs/Recapped PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

Valve PRECroft Epoch(Mega Modded) AMP Sondex S100 SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Reference XO DECK Garrard301 MatTeunto GunMetal Bearing SPH Plinth Moldovan Arm SME 3012(Ikeda Ag wired) PSU NSC MCAg Meister SPU/DECCA Maroon CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ Speaker3mm2Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostage Paradise

I'm AnDreW.

PT IX - Mini mini update!

These bad boys are coming from the USA.

TUNGSOL.jpg

Shaded 6SL7GT 1942-1945 vintage. Tung-Sol seem to have produced some of the best sounding valves EVER most people seem to agree!

Anyway I now have a pair of Brimar's to install and listen.

I'm AnDreW.

Currently undergoing extended listening.

DSCN3525.jpg

Very detailed! More over the weekend!

I'm AnDreW.

Pt X - Brimar 6SL7GT - Mullard's poor cousin?

DSCN3525.jpg

I waited for some time to put these into my Croft and after several weeks finally got around to listening to them. I'd heard good things about this valve, so here we go!
    These valves are a bit of a mixed bag in that they seem to excel in some areas whilst sound poor in others. Overall they are a step up from my Original Reflektor 6SL7 that I'd been using. These valves are not very good at producing female vocals but they do seem to excel in being able to see right into the mix of a record. They seem to be extremely good at extracting the smallest scintilla of detail. I tested the valves on the usual Jazz suspects that I listen to and seemed to notice a whole new level of detail and definition to the open double bass of So What on the Kind of Blue Album but this was juxtaposed against a terrible rendition of Cal Tjader album. What should have been a very intimate female vocal from Chris Conner sounded very flat, recessed and just not right. John Coltrane's sax did sound sublime and then the realisation kicked in. This valve is probably going to be great if you listen to nothing but stringed instrumental or brass based music and then fall flat on it's backside for anything else. This is a real shame as I had high hopes. So, I've given this one a 6.25 on its strengths of reproducing amazing detail when listening to instrumental music. It's a one trick pony and not an all rounder. I can highly recommend this valve for strings and brass otherwise do some more tube rolling.

Here's how the shoot out list looks after 5 lots of tube rolling.

1. Tung Sol 6SL7GT (Orange base) 9.5/10
    2. Mullard 6SL7GT (Black base) 9.25/10
    3. Slyvania 6SL7GT black base 7/10
    4. Brimar 6SL7GT (black base) 6.25/10
    5. Reflektor black base 70's version 5/10

So what's next? Well we have some lovely General Electric 6SL7GT'S plumbed in, freshly picked from the US of A.

DSCN3548.jpg

GENERAL ELECTRIC.jpg
    Expect some scribbles soon! As ever, stay tuned!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234