+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 6SL7GT valve & It's variants - MY ADVENTURES!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

The 50s ones have dark black anodes, not grey

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The 50s ones have dark black anodes, not grey

Marco.
    I think it's just the lighting on the photo I chose from Google :-)
    The one I have had always had gloss black anodes. :-)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

Fairy muff

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Jim, this is for you!

A shot of the 5 valves which control the MM stage, the tape/in out, aux and also L+R channel out to power amp.

A few mods. We have Yannis Tome intrinsic wiring to the MM stage and the L+R output channels. Finally silver WBT RCA;s. The far right valves (last two) are the Mullard 6SL7GT which I re-installed. All the other goodies are elsewhere in the amp!

DSCN3519.jpg

These have just come out of the pre-amp RCA 6SL7GT not sure of the vintage. Some notes coming up at some point.

DSCN3520.jpg

Enjoy.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Hi Andy,

Those other valves in your amp with black bases (not the Mullards) are fairly generic Russian valves, which are ok, but nothing special. You can do considerably better! What you need are these boys, proper 6H8C (the 6H9C you need look identical), made in the Melz factory during the 1950s:

The thing to look out for are the distinctive holes in the anodes... Those are stunning sounding valves, with really airy highs and superb dynamics.

Also, the Mullards you're using are also fairly generic, and I suspect simply re-badged Sylvanias. What you need are these, 1950s 'Tall Boy' brown short-bases:

Themz PROPA! And a totally different ball game to what you're using.

Trust me, if you can find what I've recommended above, and fit them in your amp, you'll be blown away by what you hear!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrew.

Marco,

The left three valves are all non-military spec Reflektor valves which came with the amp. The other two could well be re-badged Sylvania's but they sound so different and better to the two which I've just removed. I have a two types of Melz coming from our Russian friends and for the price I'm not complaining. I'm probably going to get a lot of enjoyment trying the Russian valves and it works out cheaper than a night on the tiles (but without the hangover)! I'm working on sourcing a pair of Mullard brown bases and also a pair of Brimar 6SL7GT's! All good fun. Just out of interest, I have a question for you regarding the left three valves. The far left valve is for the MM stage (which I don't use), have you any idea which of the remaining two controls the AUX RCA input? I'm thinking on experimenting with this valve as I think I can get more from the pre-amp this way .

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Jim, this is for you!

A shot of the 5 valves which control the MM stage, the tape/in out, aux and also L+R channel out to power amp.

A few mods. We have Yannis Tome intrinsic wiring to the MM stage and the L+R output channels. Finally silver WBT RCA;s. The far right valves (last two) are the Mullard 6SL7GT which I re-installed. All the other goodies are elsewhere in the amp!

DSCN3519.jpg

These have just come out of the pre-amp RCA 6SL7GT not sure of the vintage. Some notes coming up at some point.

DSCN3520.jpg

Enjoy.
    Thanks Andy, those valves are quite big beasts! Need to see the rest of the amp!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    The far left valve is for the MM stage (which I don't use), have you any idea which of the remaining two controls the AUX RCA input?
    It's much more likely that the first two valves are for the MM, the same as Croft amp using the smaller 9 pin valves.
    The third could well be a cathode follower also associated with the MM input, I haven't had direct contact with this type of pre.

To prove it you could take out these two (3) valves and see if the Aux still functions.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    It's much more likely that the first two valves are for the MM, the same as Croft amp using the smaller 9 pin valves.
    The third could well be a cathode follower also associated with the MM input, I haven't had direct contact with this type of pre.

To prove it you could take out these two (3) valves and see if the Aux still functions.
    I did think of this about 30 seconds after I posted.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

PT III - Valve madness

OK, The Melz have arrived and I have now just purchased these badboys

I managed to find one of these for £13!!!! Now just need to find another. I'm in no rush.

I also pushed the boat out and got a couple of these

I also have a single Brimar 6SL7GT on its ways. So it looks like the Melz going in this weekend.

Stay tuned
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast