+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: damping factor and amplifiers

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by goraman View Post
    And don't forget RISE TIME! Babey Yah!

But I notice that HFW have started quoting damping factor in their amplifier reviews...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

They regard a figure of "50" as a high value. My amps are around 1000 (500 in bridged mode).....

Inboth my system and HiFi dave's setups, my Quad II's (with low bass damping I suspect), didn't appear to have much bass extension, sounding rolled off if anything, so *just* using one factor isn't enough..

I've also heard decent valve amps appearing to have as much "power" as a solid state equivalent with three times the WPC or more. I wonder what it could be?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ChrisB.

So, in what circumstances would a low damping factore be required?
    I ask this because some amps have switchable damping factors - 2 of mine, included.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    They regard a figure of "50" as a high value. My amps are around 1000 (500 in bridged mode).....

Inboth my system and HiFi dave's setups, my Quad II's (with low bass damping I suspect), didn't appear to have much bass extension, sounding rolled off if anything, so *just* using one factor isn't enough..

I've also heard decent valve amps appearing to have as much "power" as a solid state equivalent with three times the WPC or more. I wonder what it could be?
    My impression was that as a rough guide low damping factor gives 'more bass but loose' bass and high damping gives 'less bass but deeper and tighter bass'? Dunno about the valve power thing - maybe that's the slew rate in action
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
    There were several people using Class D at Bristol. However Cass D amps can have a high, or a low damping factor depending on how they are designed.

Dave
    thanks dave , i didn`t spot any .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread