+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do we have here?........Denon 301 MK2

I'm Oliver.

Default What do we have here?........Denon 301 MK2

On loan from Jimbo, I have strapped this to my tonearm in preparation for a listening session tomorrow. Any one have any experience with one ?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves) > Slagle AVC Passive Preamp > Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves) > Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers > SPOTFIRE Cables Throughout

I'm Geoff.

What is it? Looks like a DL something.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

The clue's in the title, daftee!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm Geoff.

Ah. Half asleep and shortly off to bed. You have to give the old guys a bit of leeway!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol.... Don't forget your sleep cap and thermal PJs, granddad!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm Oliver.

Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves) > Slagle AVC Passive Preamp > Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves) > Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers > SPOTFIRE Cables Throughout

I'm Ken.

Yes I've used one, liked it a lot till the cantilever just fell out.

Paired with a Pro-Ject Phono Box RS and a Trans-fi Audio parallel tracking arm on a Technics SL-1200 based, but highly modified deck.

Good clean sound, punchy and detailed, maybe very slightly veiled in the lower mid range, but hardly noticeable. Much preferred it to a Goldring 1042 and Ortofon M2 Red in the same set up. Seems to handle surface noise very well.

Hope that helps.
    Ken

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/
    DIY Technics/ProJect based Turntable + Terminator linear tracker + AT 33PTG II / AQVOX Phono 2 CI / Pro-Ject Pre Box RS / ESP Active X-Over / Nakamichi AVP1 Power / Modified semi-active Yamaha NS1000M Speakers / Stello CDT100 Transport / NAD M51 DAC.

I'm James.

Looks good on that arm and matches your platter!

I return to this cartridge often as it has a lot of great qualities and is certainly one you can sit back and enjoy. It lets you concentrate on the music and forget about analysing the 'hifi' aspects. It has a great midrange analogue sound and handles old records particularly well because of its spectacular lack of surface noise. This is the best I have experienced in that regard. Tracking ability is also second to none.

For absolute detail and extracting the very last drop of information it is lacking but there again I don't think that this is what the Denon 301mk2 is about. It is really an easy listening, very good value for money MC cartridge which lets you simply sit back and enjoy the music. I would be interested to know how it compares with a 103 as it shares the same engine. Stylus profile,cantilever and body are however quite different.

It is certainly a keeper in my book and a nice cartridge to have as a back up in the armoury.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Looks good on that arm and matches your platter!

I return to this cartridge often as it has a lot of great qualities and is certainly one you can sit back and enjoy. It lets you concentrate on the music and forget about analysing the 'hifi' aspects. It has a great midrange analogue sound and handles old records particularly well because of its spectacular lack of surface noise. This is the best I have experienced in that regard. Tracking ability is also second to none.

For absolute detail and extracting the very last drop of information it is lacking but there again I don't think that this is what the Denon 301mk2 is about. It is really an easy listening, very good value for money MC cartridge which lets you simply sit back and enjoy the music. I would be interested to know how it compares with a 103 as it shares the same engine. Stylus profile,cantilever and body are however quite different.

It is certainly a keeper in my book and a nice cartridge to have as a back up in the armoury.
    Well, Jimbo, that saves me writing what I think as it's like you've read my mind!

Id also point out that it's sound has the right amount of "body" not thin, not warm but very believable. I like it.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Well, Jimbo, that saves me writing what I think as it's like you've read my mind!

Id also point out that it's sound has the right amount of "body" not thin, not warm but very believable. I like it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast