+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short but sweet time with Member Andy - SMANGUS

I'm Robert.

Default Short but sweet time with Member Andy - SMANGUS

As a result of Andy (SMANGUS) purchasing a Panzerwood weight from me via Private Exhibitions here, I had the pleasure of meeting him in person.

Luckily and conveniently he lives a few mins from me so I popped over to hand deliver the item.

He invited me in and my eye immediately caught his very nice Nottingham Analogue Interspace, the special edition version with lovely Mahogany Plynth.
    I'm very taken by the look of decks with deep, substantial platters like this one.

He asked me what I liked to listen to and then pulled a copy of Bob Marley & The Wailers 'Burnin'

The arm looked like a tricked Rega RB of some kind with a XYZ Yatra on the end - We talked about the cart as I know the XYZ's are very good and that the Yatra is up the range.

Phono Stage was Firebottle OTP

Speakers - Celestion comapct A

I didnt have a lot of time as I was on errands but I thought it would be rude not to indulge.

The thing that struck me from the offset was superb imaging, instruments came from left and right in the weay that really good imaging does.

Second thing was the excellent neutrallity.

Listening a little further revealed excellent seperation of the individual parts but what has stuck with me and will stay is the way those seperate parts where tonally seperate too as well as accurate with the right body and textural information expressed.
    For example, when Peter Tosh's baratone harmonised behind Bobs lead, I could clearly differenciate the difference in the tonal texture between Bob and Peter, I can honestly say it is the first time I've heard this in such a pronounced, clear and natural way.
    The guitars that followed were again very tonally right, Oh and did I say that the bass was properly properly tuneful ?

I can say hand on heart that I was genuinely taken by how analogue, tonally accurate, musical and non fatiguing this descrete, classy little systems was / is.

It's opened my mind and knowledge even further.

Andy has put together a nice set up, that has more depth than I've heard before.

Those little Celestions are great and the Yantra has opened my eyes to what can be realised in terms of tonal depth - I'd have one !

After about one side I had to depart but it was a pleasure meeting yet another AOS who is genuinely a really nice guy.

Meeting him and hearing his system and how it presents the music has been a pleasure and given me food for thought

Thanks Andy, hope you're enjoying the PatheWings Panzerwood weight and thanks for the tunes - Big up and Big up the AOS Community
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Rob.

Great write up. I could feel your enthusiasm through your words. Have you listened to Bill Laswell's Ambient translations of Bob Marley? A great CD IMO.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Great write up. I could feel your enthusiasm through your words. Have you listened to Bill Laswell's Ambient translations of Bob Marley? A great CD IMO.
    Yes, it was a short visit as I say but yeah, hearing his system was a pleasure and a learner....

I havnt heard that CD Rob but I'll defo check it out - I'm intrigued not to mention a massive Marley fan from childhood - thanks for the headsup
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Hi Rob

Thanks very much for your kind words, it was a pleasure to meet you albeit for such a short time. It was very interesting to hear your comments about the sound as I have not heard any other systems since buying my turntable over 10 years ago and so this has evolved over the years in a bit of a vacuum.

I like balance, separation and rhythm without any "bloom" or things being too cold or analytical. I like to think I have achieved this but it's very nice to have a second opinion confirming this, as well as rewarding.

The compact A's came about when I lived in a small room before we bought the house, they have translated quite well so I have never felt the need to change them. Although I have an ongoing Tannoy build which is now 2 years old lol! Due to the size of the room they are quite far apart but I have toed them in which makes a lot of difference to the soundstage etc.

Everything is second hand except for the OTP phono stage , Linn Classik and MJ acoustics sub which complements the A's very well. I'm very glad you liked the sound, I could see from the way you were moving in time to the music that your appreciative comments were very genuine (not that I don't think you wouldn't give an honest opinion!).

for those interested my set up is as follows

Amp duty (and cd) - Linn Classik

Speakers - Celestion Compact A's

Sub - MJ Acoustics Reference 100

Deck - Notts Analogue Intersapce SE ( mahogany version)

Arm - Rega RB 200 with origin Live brass weight and internal and external wire mods.

Cart - ZYX Yatra with a 5G Decca weight between it and the Arm head, this helped with the bass and overall tonality, it sounded a bit thin before this was added.

Phono stage - Firebottle OTP (1) I would say this had a good impact on the sound bringing through more detail in the cart and added sound stage, separation and balance. I'm going to get this upgraded to the OTP 2 in the next few weeks.

This is fed into the Linn via an NJC Audio headphone amp which has pre outs. As I listen late at night on my HE 400s and therefore so do not have to switch the Linn on

Speaker wire - Van Damme blue 4 mill

Interconnects - Various mongrels, silver , copper , non costing more than 30 quid.

DAC for TV and DVD duty- Beresford Bushmaster 2.

The Weight looks and feels real nice. My 1st impression is that it has tightened up the sound a bit. I tried it without the mat on the platter but that meant the treble was bit harsh so put it back and it's fine.

I have been listening to vibes since you left and it looks like it might turn into one of those evenings, especially after 2 G&Ts

Seeing as you are so close , if you fancy another listen some time let me know and we can coordinate diaries.

Cheers Andy

I'm Russell.

Robbie, you have done such a fine job of critiquing Andy’s stereo, why don’t you become the forum’s official reviewer? You could go to other members homes, about once a week, and review their stereos for the forum! I know I would enjoy reading your analysis of everyone’s system. You could come listen to mine if you’re ever in the States? Perhaps you’ve found your calling?

Anyway, I enjoyed your comments on Andy’s system, in our daily conversations about our beloved equipment, so often we forget to relay what it really sounds like, which is the part I like reading the most. And looking at the writeup in your description of your own system, that is truly old school! I know it rocks! I’d love to hear it, it’s been many a Moon since I’ve heard a Sansui 919! An amp that started me on my quest for killer stereo!

Russell

I'm Grant.

He's not slagging mine off

Only joking rob. Nice write up and seems a great system andy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Robbie, you have done such a fine job of critiquing Andy’s stereo, why don’t you become the forum’s official reviewer? You could go to other members homes, about once a week, and review their stereos for the forum! I know I would enjoy reading your analysis of everyone’s system. You could come listen to mine if you’re ever in the States? Perhaps you’ve found your calling?

Anyway, I enjoyed your comments on Andy’s system, in our daily conversations about our beloved equipment, so often we forget to relay what it really sounds like, which is the part I like reading the most. And looking at the writeup in your description of your own system, that is truly old school! I know it rocks! I’d love to hear it, it’s been many a Moon since I’ve heard a Sansui 919! An amp that started me on my quest for killer stereo!

Russell
    Bless Russell - Listening to other peoples systems is such a revelation. I dont get to do it much though due to time and other commitments.

I've only heard a few others but there's always been clear difference in the sonic presentation - no question.

I was struck with Andy's immediately, for the reasons mentioned.

I'm a floor standers man, just like the way they look to be honest which is daft but those tiny little Celestions sounded good, natural, musical and really got to the heart of the music, each bass line / note was tuneful and moved the rythm along beautifully.

Been a huge Marley fan from before he was what I'd call globally famous and more than familiar with the Burnin' album.

You could really hear inside the music, the recording in that analogue master tape sense and all from this fairly 'moderate' not in your face / showboaty high end type set up - As I say it was a bit of an eye opener for me in that sense.

The 919 is a beaut' ! but despite being re-built like new, re-capped etc it has been down again with a phono selector niggle causing loss of right channel. These gorgeous things even when completely sorted are like high end classic cars, where these little things might happen from time to time.

And like a classic car parts have to be sourced from somewhere. Also my top tech friend Angus (Phonomac) is in Northampton and has other hifi related projects on the go as well.

All of this means things dont happen overnight so the last few years have been painful beyond belief.

I've indulged in something 'special' recently which has me very very excited indeed and should I hope ease the pain. Cant say just yet but in true AOS style all will be revealed as soon as it arrives in a week or two
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Bless Russell - Listening to other peoples systems is such a revelation. I dont get to do it much though due to time and other commitments.

I've only heard a few others but there's always been clear difference in the sonic presentation - no question.

I was struck with Andy's immediately, for the reasons mentioned.

I'm a floor standers man, just like the way they look to be honest which is daft but those tiny little Celestions sounded good, natural, musical and really got to the heart of the music, each bass line / note was tuneful and moved the rythm along beautifully.

Been a huge Marley fan from before he was what I'd call globally famous and more than familiar with the Burnin' album.

You could really hear inside the music, the recording in that analogue master tape sense and all from this fairly 'moderate' not in your face / showboaty high end type set up - As I say it was a bit of an eye opener for me in that sense.

The 919 is a beaut' ! but despite being re-built like new, re-capped etc it has been down again with a phono selector niggle causing loss of right channel. These gorgeous things even when completely sorted are like high end classic cars, where these little things might happen from time to time.

And like a classic car parts have to be sourced from somewhere. Also my top tech friend Angus (Phonomac) is in Northampton and has other hifi related projects on the go as well.

All of this means things dont happen overnight so the last few years have been painful beyond belief.

I've indulged in something 'special' recently which has me very very excited indeed and should I hope ease the pain. Cant say just yet but in true AOS style all will be revealed as soon as it arrives in a week or two
    I hear what you’re saying about the clear difference. I too have noticed this myself, while I don’t know many people who enjoy high end audio, of the systems I’ve experienced they are all very different. And most were excellent! And it begs the question, how can they all be so different and all be so right? One would think that the search for the holy grail in sound reproduction would lead us all to the same point? But in fact, it does quite the opposite. And like you I enjoy the differences, it can really make one think.

Russell

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Brilliant stuff, Rob. Always great to hear about little get togethers like this, as it grows the AoS community!

I agree with Russell - you provided a succinct and insightful appraisal of Andy's system, which made for interesting reading. All that was missing was a few pics!

Perhaps you could now invite Chris back to yours for a return session?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Brilliant stuff, Rob. Always great to hear about little get togethers like this, as it grows the AoS community!

I agree with Russell - you provided a succinct and insightful appraisal of Andy's system, which made for interesting reading. All that was missing was a few pics!

Perhaps you could now invite Chris back to yours for a return session?

Marco.
    I agree Marco, Andy might be able to upload some pics of his set up.

Will defo do the return session by me and take pics then as well

I'm without sounds for a few months now again but I'm hoping to back up and running soon.

I'll also be trying a couple of mats you'll be glad to know and once I'm settled I'll get some long overdue listening / evaluation done and feedback
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast