+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted: cheap DC blocker

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not my work Oliver. I bought a completed board, as it's not that much dearer than a self assembly item.

Whole thing will stand me in a little over fifty quid. Ther Sjostrom board is very nice quality.
    That's a great price! Mine was a bit more than that.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

lordmortlock Guest

A question on this whilst it’s on topic chaps. I’m playing with a new power amp that apparently passes dc through to the pre. Interested to know if it’s causihg some noise, so was looking at dc blocking rca devices to put between pre and power. Are they any good? Or is the sense more that you’re better blocking the dc at source ie the mains ?

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    A question on this whilst it’s on topic chaps. I’m playing with a new power amp that apparently passes dc through to the pre. Interested to know if it’s causihg some noise, so was looking at dc blocking rca devices to put between pre and power. Are they any good? Or is the sense more that you’re better blocking the dc at source ie the mains ?
    These DC Blockers are for the mains, not for low level signals. Jake, do you mean the pre is direct coupled? if so then any dc would be amplified by the power amp and eventually fry your tweeters if your are lucky of both units if not. I'm never trust direct coupled unless via a transformer, so have always had a decoupling cap in there somewhere prior to the power amp
    Cheers Lee

lordmortlock Guest

Ah ok, thanks Lee, that’s helpful. The comment re the power amp suggested avoiding pres that could pass dc on, so I guess they meant direct coupled units.

The pre is an eastern electric minimax pre or a nelson pass b1 buffer clone. I’ll read up on these, try to understand what the designs do.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Er, it's a mains issue. Plenty of info why needed in the links above or here
    Thank you sir, I have been schooled!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Lee.

Jack, just to clarify, if your power amp has a cap blocking DC you would be ok. I see you have a 300b amp so I know that they have coupling caps between the 6sn7 and 300b so no worries, even with a direct coupled pre.
    Cheers Lee

I'm Dennis.

I am using two ATL units: https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/fully-a...mbled-in-case/
    Excellent VFM and fast delivery

They work very well with my V20 and WA22
    Last edited by dennis; 15-01-2018 at 19:56. Reason: update
    Mac Mini M1 + Roon + HQ Player+Audirvana+J River + 2TB Evo ssd for music.
    Sotm 200 Ultra, ISO Regen, Etheregen, HDPlex, Kecces P3, LDA, Supercharger linear PSU's
    Lampizator L4G5 balanced + DSD512 Dac.
    EAR V20, Woo Audio WA22
    Kef Reference LS3/5a speakers, Van den Hul M.C. CS122 Hybrid speaker cable, Missing Link, Neotech, Belden, mains & interconnects, Audeze LCD-4, Senn HD800s, ZMF Atticus, Smyth Realiser A16, IsoL8 Minisub2

I'm Chris.

Hi Tom,
    This one works great as well:
    http://www.lcaudio.com/index.php?page=316

I'm John.

Default DC Blocker

Thanks for this thread, the result of which was that I bought the ATL unit which arrived yesterday.
    Would have done it years ago if only I had known - background silence - bliss.

JDA99

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12