+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on Metrum Octave

I'm George.

The Metrum uses(d) industrial DACs with very high switching rates as opposed to the more common Burr Brown etc. audio chips. I think(?) it had a good healthy output so did not need an op amp but may have used FETs as a buffer. With NOS and no digital filters it gave that more natural sound that NOS guys twitter about.

Martin Colloms gave it a 'score' of 185 which puts it into top drawer DACs and above a lot of Linn/Naim (but not the NDS). He favourably compared it to the MSB DACs which was 15x the price of the Octave. Hence his enthusiasm for it.

I have heard better but more at knee trembling prices but that maybe because I like what NOS DACs do to the sound.

I'm Gary.

Almost pulled the trigger on a Metrum Adagio, by all accounts Metrum know their stuff it's pretty tremendous.

Conversation with a London high end Dealer (who I bought my SME V off and I knew as a "good guy") convinced me to look elsewhere.
    Wanted to throw money at him to buy the Adagio, but he says take a moment and have a think, and suggested something else.

Suggested something different as better (and cheaper) and I went with that.

My M2Tech Young sounds tremendous, but at this price-point the Octave will blow it out the weeds.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 14-01-2018 at 17:59.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Lawrence.

Just bought another dac, didn't need it but had committed before I got the metrum. It's a Lead Audio/Northern Fidelity 32/384 dac/pre/headphone amp. I have to say it's very good, not quite as natural/non-digital as the metrum but the pre amp stage is pretty handy and the sabre dac does have a nice sound. It's smoother than another sabre dac I had (audio gd nfb-11) and far more listenable. While it had a wall wart psu, it doesn't have any discernable "weak psu" kind of sound except a slightly lighter (but very tight) bass.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Just bought another dac, didn't need it but had committed before I got the metrum. It's a Lead Audio/Northern Fidelity 32/384 dac/pre/headphone amp. I have to say it's very good, not quite as natural/non-digital as the metrum but the pre amp stage is pretty handy and the sabre dac does have a nice sound. It's smoother than another sabre dac I had (audio gd nfb-11) and far more listenable. While it had a wall wart psu, it doesn't have any discernable "weak psu" kind of sound except a slightly lighter (but very tight) bass.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Sounds a nice bit of kit.
    I’d never got on with Sabre Dacs, always found them a bit digital and the top end was a bit sharp.

Maybe worth trying a linear supply anyway, you never know?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Lawrence.

I've already got a wanted ad for a linear psu and after a recommendation have ordered a unit from maplins. Hopefully this will raise the performance of the new dac to a higher level.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12