+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squeezebox Replacement

I'm Brian.

Default Squeezebox Replacement

I've realised I do most of my listening on Tidal. So I need to upgrade my streaming side of things, currently a squeezebox duet with external linear ps in to a M2tech Young dac with Paul Hynes ps. This does not sound anywhere near as good as my cdp (Densen B420). I think the squeezebox is the weak link. I've been looking at the Innuos Zen Mk2, any other suggestions? I want to remove my reliance on my pc as music server and Internet radio provider.

I'm Steven.

Because Spotify dropped their Squeezebox support, I purchased a Bluesound Node 2 as a replacement for my SB Touch (well, in fact both SBT and the Node 2 are connected to my Bushmaster II). I think the SQ of the Node 2 is an upgrade compared to that of the SBT and lossles streaming services as Tidal and Qobuz are native on the Bluesound.

I really love this device that connects easily and streams hi-res audio. Have a look at it, maybe it suits your needs.
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

I'm Gary.

Hi Brian,
    An Oppo 103 bluray player had Tidal built in and can feed your Young Dac from its coaxial out.
    Sounds great, ran one myself for quite a while and would be a noticeable jump compared to your Duet.

Another suggestion could be an Squeezebox Touch?
    Its digital out into your Young will sound great too.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Edward.

The Zen box you mention seems to have a great deal you don't need for streaming Tidal such as an optical drive and a massive 2tb drive. Also you may also be locked into whatever operating system the Zen has on board. Personally I would look at a fanless NUC (or similar) with windows 10 to provide flexibility. Combined with Tidal and Roon you will have a winning combination. In fact this is what I'm running at the moment.

But the Zen looks like a lovely unit, well built and attention to detail. £1,500 seems steep just for streaming Tidal, but reasonable with all the other options.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Fi-Wi View Post
    Because Spotify dropped their Squeezebox support ......
    If you insist on running the Squeezebox Touch as a stand alone unit then you're quite correct, and you're screwed.
    However, Squeezebox still handles Spotify.
    A new app, titled "Spotty" was written and incorporated into recent versions of LMS, which means you need to run LMS on a PC, Mac or Pi.

I bought a RasPi 3 starter kit, installed piCorePlayer on it, and had the thing up and running LMS in 15 minutes, and it has been working faultlessly since.

As piCorePlayer has Squeezelite built into it you can also use it as a rendering device (ie Player).
    Fit a decent HQ DAC board, or a decent HQ SPDIF board and you can get excellent sound quality for less than the cost of a Squeezebox Touch.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hi Brian,
    An Oppo 103 bluray player had Tidal built in and can feed your Young Dac from its coaxial out.
    Sounds great, ran one myself for quite a while and would be a noticeable jump compared to your Duet.

Another suggestion could be an Squeezebox Touch?
    Its digital out into your Young will sound great too.
    My Squeezebox Touch sounds great running into the Young DAC's little brother, the EVO DAC.
    And I performed the same upgrade on my EVO as Gaz did with his Young.

As far as streaming services go, LMS has apps for Spotify (as already mentioned), Tidal and Qobuz.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Steve.

I used to run a SBT but now use an Auralic Aries Mini and have to say it’s a superb device. One note of caution I would add is that the brilliant app only runs on IOS, so if your an android user you may struggle.
    Regards Steve

Funkfirm Little Super Deck with F5 arm
    Audio Technica AT33sa
    Vertere Phono 1
    Naim Supernait 2
    Niam Allae speaker

I'm Stephen.

I run LMS on a. Vortexbox (dedicated ripper / streamer / nas) that handles my FLAC library and streams Qobuz (like Tidal but suits my tastes better). this then connects over the wifi to a SB Touch (kitchen) and a Raspberry Pi running Picoreplayer into my Lyngdorf / DAC.
    All sounds good. Vortexbox going soon as now migrating my music to Mac ( no point in having two music servers).
    Current kit :
    Music library (FLAC) on IMac or streamed via Qobuz. Fed wirelessly to Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione and into Lyngdorf digital amplification. This handles room correction and drives a pair of Quad 2905 electrostatics.

+ Reply to Thread